• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sugar pine lumber, where to buy?

Started by SandiaPaul, September 16, 2012, 06:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

Hi,

I'd like to make something from nice clear sugar pine lumber like Kappler lumber.
I have looked all over online but can't find anyone who sells milled lumber in small quantities. 
4/4 would be good and milled all sides. Anyone know where I might get this.
I emailed Kappler and they don't/wont sell it.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

mabloodhound

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

I think Mt. Albert will cut custom runs for you and their quality is very good: www.mtalbert.com/ -- Russ

Lawton Maner

If you are willing to mill your own lumber any wholesaler who supplies the cabinet industry in your area should sell #2 or #3 common sugar pine in 1" X 12" in lengths up to 16' long.  In Tidewater Virginia there are at least 4 vendors who will sell to the general public on a cash and carry basis.  When I ran a cabinet shop, we bought #2 sugar pine 2400 bf at a time and used about that much in 3 weeks. 

You might also ask around the local cabinet shops and see if they will sell you some shorts that otherwise would be scrap.  I sold Red Alder scraps by the grocery sack full to fishermen who wanted them to smoke fish and used the off falls from basswood in my own model making and poplar strips to make spline roadbed.  Fall and winter are also a good time to get kindling from local shops also.

BTW, I use a Byrnes table saw to make all of my modeling lumber.  http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/index.html?id_mm=1220MM920589

I am currently looking for a small quantity of old growth Red Spruce from West Virginia to complete a pair of models of buildings from what is now the Cass State Park.  Any help out there?

SandiaPaul

Thanks for the replies. I have the Byrnes saw and it is limited to 1" depth of cut, and I have no way to mill my own.
I could use thicker with a lot more cutting, I just thought if I could get it 3/4" thick it would save a lot of work.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

Geoff Ringle

Paul,  Did you try Willard Bros.?  Assuming they have sugar pine, they are very accommodating and will mill what you need.
Geoff

Barney

What scale are you working in - and were are you in this big wide world of ours that's a good starting point !!
I live in the UK England and I deal with CORONADO SCALE MODELS they do not have a web site but a quick phone call normally does the trick and does not cost a fortune - they stock Mt Albert and Kappler scale lumber $2:95 a pack (24in lengths) Check the Mt Albert and Kappler sites out first I then normally email them to check the stock situation try to go for standard sizes 4x4 sounds a bit of an odd one although it is listed. CORONADO accept all major cards and their service is exceptional the worst part is the postage all quantities of scale lumber is about $15:00 to $18:00 (it comes in a 24in long box)
there address is 1544 E CYPRESS STREET,PHOENIX,ARIZONA 85006 - phone international code + 602 254 9656 - fax 602 254 9656
email : coronadoscalemod@aol.com
I have dealt with this company for many years and I thoroughly recommend them for their service and quality.
Barney

Lawton Maner

A 1" X 12" plank is a finished piece 3/4" X 11 1/4" in size when purchased.  By flipping the piece you are cutting over and making a second pass pieces up to about 1 1/4" thick can be easily cut on my Byrnes Saw. 

Paul, where do you live?  I will look into the stock I've got packed away in the garage (think of squirrels saving nuts for the winter) and I can send you a piece if you can't locate any sugar pine close to where you live.

SandiaPaul

Lawton,

I am in central NJ, USA. Very nice offer.
I got busy with real work and haven't followed up on the other leads yet.

Paul
Paul