• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Small trackside structures?

Started by Ray Dunakin, October 01, 2012, 07:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I have a spot on my layout for a very small structure between two tracks, and I'm trying to decide what to put there. The maximum footprint is 10x10 scale feet. I could just do a shed, but I'd prefer to come up with something a little less generic, and/or something less frequently modeled.

Any suggestions? What kind of small, rundown structures might logically be found close to the tracks? (It's a narrow gauge layout, so there wouldn't be any block signal circuit boxes, etc.)
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

Ray,

I grew up with a small SP junction as my actual backyard.

The only 10 by 10 foot structures that I remember were the forts that my friends and I built using rail ties.

Every week or so the railroad people would come along and tear them down but we enjoyed them for a while.

A privy might be a nice touch.

In my box of plans somewhere are three little structures that MR ran an article on about 30 years ago.

The most interesting visually was a set of stairs with a small platform at the top for refueling the oil stove in a caboose.

Having just moved I have no idea where those plans are, of course, but maybe someone else has them.

A small structure for flares and such is always nice but not very distinctive.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

darrylhuffman

Don,

As I was driving around today I realized there is a great little building for your area.

A small garage for a speeder.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.