• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WHY-6 .......... Stick'n'tissue!

Started by Andi Little, February 03, 2013, 04:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi Little

Please excuse me for this - but I thought this might amuse?

Don't know if there are any "stick'n'tissue" guys out there amongst you? But I thought I'd post this little number if only as a curiosity.
Long story short when I gave the plastic a rest some while ago now - I took up a bit of simple aero modelling, just rubber powered stuff ... but mainly as a means of trying to get all those childhood projects that defeated me to fly [in a fashion at least].
You know? - I really got into it, one of the old hands [gone now unfortunately] sort of took me under his wing and after learning some of the tricks and techniques I actually started to build stuff that flew. Truth be told though I was much more enamoured with how they looked and preferred them in their bare bones to when I had to risk them to the wind!!

Anyhoo ... getting to the point - I ended up designing my own plane, and you can see how it was all about the look? - Sort of Art-Deco meets Reno!

This is a collage of a pic' of WHY 6 and a holiday snap made to look like a period postcard [I must of been bored one day]. but the aircraft is un-doctored and still looks pretty smart to my eye. ............... 28/8/06 ... wow, how time passes.

If anyone is interested in this kind of thing? I can post some pic's out of the build album if you like? - Even got some basic plans drawn for it if anyone builds [long story it was going to be put into production, but the "old guard" had a hissy fit - especially when it won a Concours de'elegance at one of the big shows {it was entered without my knowledge]
Suffice to say the fallout and general nastiness of some of these "gentle old men" put paid to me furthering any interest in the hobby ............... so I took up the plastic again.

Ps ............ I haven't said - but it flew - and very well at that! - they bloody hated it for that alone!!!!

KBO..................... Andi.

lab-dad

That is a great story!
I for one would like to see more and learn more about the hobby.
Judt what I need - another distraction!
How long are flight times? Where do they fly?
Are there kits? Is it a steep learning curve to build one?
Marty

Andi Little

Just a quick reply Marty - to get you going and all that!!!

This is the website that really got me into the whole world of aero-modelling.

http://www.ffscale.co.uk/index.htm

Mike's a great guy, and very accommodating. But be careful!!! It's a very seductive and addictive genre of model making.
Even though I still have most of my kit and supplies, I've forgotten most that I know or was taught about the setting up and flying of these little devils. But ask away and I'll try my best to help you out.

I do still have a load of free-flight plans though [digital], used to have all the little programmes to scale them out to exactly what you wanted to build at - but these died with their respective hard drive hosts.

Just gives us a shout should you need anything - although Mikes pages will give you more than enough reading material for a few days!!!

Cheers.

Ray Dunakin

That plane looks really good! Is it rubber band powered?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Andi Little

Yes Ray, it most certainly is. About a 22" wingspan if memory serves me: I've been trying to find the build album for it to post a few more pic's but it doesn't seem to be where I left it?
I have found the plane out though - it's looking a bit sorry for itself having been dumped in a box all these years.

I'll try and find some more instructive pic's out.

marc_reusser

Uh...WoW!.....that is a beautiful design....just lovely.....and you have built a wonderful model. Is there anything you don't or haven't modeled. You're like Zelig.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

michael mott

Nice one Andi, for some reason it reminds me of Howard Hughes.

Quotebut mainly as a means of trying to get all those childhood projects that defeated me to fly

Ah yes the mind was willing but the hand be not prompt to execute the design! I tried a few times as well when I was a boy but to no avail. One time I was at the park wound it up and the thing suddenly had the urge to pretend it was a concertina right there in my hand..... I might have cried I can't remember.  Might be why I don't build model airplanes.

Your model looks fantastic.

Michael