• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

This weekend´s find

Started by Hauk, October 11, 2009, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I like modeling with detail and running trains too. Could someone please come over and build me a layout to my standards (and do you work for beer)?

The planning of your architect associate makes a huge amount of sense. I make detailed plans of most projects first, even simple things like bookshelves. That way I just cut parts like a kit and assemble, no thinking and power tools at the same time. With any kind of group effort it makes even more sense.

I do admire the layout drawings, very nice.

John
John Palecki

Hauk

Long time no post, but I have not given up on modelling. Last project was som bridge abutements for the wooden bridge. Next up is painting, so a few pointers to good plaster casting paintng resources would be much appreciated!

First is a cruel closeup of the first casting right out of the mould. Maybe too much texture, but I  feel it will be ok. The pictures of the test fitting shows (in my opinion at least) that once all the elements comes together it will be fine.  And the prototype shot shows that prototype abutements can be pretty rough, too.

If anyone are interested in more pictures on our club layout, check out our FaceBook pages:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TMJK-Trondhjem-Modelljernbaneklubb/189510487756969

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Nice bridge, and those abutments look good too! I think the texture will be fine, it's not much more pronounced than the texture on your prototype photo.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Started to paint the abutments, and this is the result. I started with really thin washes of different shades of Vallejo acerylics. Got a bit impatient and started to use less dilluted paint. After the pain had dried, I gave it a thin wash of oilpaint, Burnt Umber and Mars Black.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

darrylhuffman

David, there are quite a few of us who are classified by the public at large as model railroaders who could care less about playing with trains.

For me, the only reason I model in a particular scale is just so everything will fit together in case I am ever interested in playing with trains.

For me the quest has always been for improved ability or technique.

What makes these forums so great is the fact that modeler's of all interests are represented here and appreciated for their talents here.

Darryl Huffman
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

finescalerr

My interests are similar to Darryl's: I lost interest in "operating" trains around the age of nine but an article about a 6 foot long logging diorama brought me into the hobby. The modeling and scenery were far better than anything I had seen and I wanted to learn how to create even more realistic scenes. The trains were simply a unifying factor and a way to add animation for a few moments should the mood strike.

Why not flying airplanes or R/C tanks? Something about railroad tracks always has looked artistically appealing to my eye; much more than a path or street. And the wood architecture through the early 20th century has a character I like. So I became a structure modeler who stuck a track next to a building. Actually, I never found much in common with the typical model railroad enthusiast and the vast majority of those folks shun my publications as uninteresting, intimidating, or unnecessary. What a bunch of fools.

Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on March 17, 2013, 12:38:10 PM
My interests are similar to Darryl's: I lost interest in "operating" trains around the age of nine but an article about a 6 foot long logging diorama brought me into the hobby. The modeling and scenery were far better than anything I had seen and I wanted to learn how to create even more realistic scenes. The trains were simply a unifying factor and a way to add animation for a few moments should the mood strike.

Why not flying airplanes or R/C tanks? Something about railroad tracks always has looked artistically appealing to my eye; much more than a path or street. And the wood architecture through the early 20th century has a character I like. So I became a structure modeler who stuck a track next to a building. Actually, I never found much in common with the typical model railroad enthusiast and the vast majority of those folks shun my publications as uninteresting, intimidating, or unnecessary. What a bunch of fools.

Russ

I am not that into operating myself. But for some reason I feel that models of trains should be possible to operate. I considered making my Westinghouse engines static models, but it just did not feel right. And I love running them back and forth on my  4 or 5 feet of track. On the other hand I think of the scenes on our club layout layout as large dioramas. But I look forward to run some trains through those scenes. 
Regards, Hauk
--