• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Which "chopper" to get?

Started by Ray Dunakin, January 01, 2012, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Aside from maybe saving a step, what is the advantage of using a chop saw rather than a standard chopper and then a disk sander? -- Russ

compressor man

Have never used a micro chop saw but I would assume its main advantage would be that one could cut their boards to actual length. Whereas if you really were uncomfortable with the small "bevel" created by a razor blade cutter you would need to cut a little oversize and sand to length. Not a big deal for a couple boards but I could see the chopsaw being a real timesaver if you need a stack of identical boards.

Just my 2 cents

eTraxx

What he said. The chop saw cuts 90°. A swipe with some sandpaper and you are good to go. If you were to ask .. "what would you do to improve it" .. the answer would be #1 .. something with more power then the Harbor Freight model such as the Proxxon (I'm *assuming* that it would be more powerful) .. and #2 .. more importantly .. some kind of micrometer adjustment on the stop.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

So the short answer to my question would be, "None." And that pleases me because, as a clarinetist, I value my fingers. One slip with a power saw and it's bye-bye music. In my specific case, then, a chopper and a sander are preferable. -- Russ