• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Semi OT need some paint advice

Started by SandiaPaul, May 01, 2013, 07:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

I have a "real" job to paint the interior of some makeup bottles. 300 bottles in 20 colors.
They are plastic bottles and my plan is to pour some paint in and rotate them around to cover the interior. Prob will need 2 coats, I also might make a little jig with a slow speed motor to turn them.

Colors need to be a match to pantone chips, close but not exact.
My question is what paints would you recc? Client is worried about crazing the plastic, as am I.
Also if you have any better ideas of how to do this I am all ears.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

marc_reusser

How long do they need to last/survive.....are they for long term, or just a temp display or photo shoot?

I like the idea of swirling them to evenly spread the color.

Are you planning on mixing the paint to match the pantone colors yourself?

If you are using an acrylic or water pased paint there should be no crazing issues.....but it likely will not stick well, evenly or for a long time to the smooth interior of the bottles (maybe if some sort of clear coat or clear primer were applied first, that it could bond to.)

Sherwin Williams seems to have a PMS matching system,...so if you had the budget to have them mix you the colors in quarts, of say semi gloss exterior acrylic or such....and then swirled this around in the bottles, it should stick to the surface, and because it is an acrylic it should not craze the bottles...also, because it is a fairly heavy/thick paint, it should cover really well.

....just a thought

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

SandiaPaul

Marc,

It is a counter display(rather several of them) and they need to survive for a while, like 1 year or so.
I am planning(hoping really) to pick paints that are close then tweak them to the right colors.
I am afraid of the sticking issues with the water based paints as well. 
I use Tru Color paints a fair amount in my own model work, I will start with that, and see what happens.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

Hydrostat

Paul,

maybe you could fill the colored bottles with something like gelatin or so to avoid the color to loosen?

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"