• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kitforums build

Started by eTraxx, May 28, 2013, 01:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabloodhound

I like your final rendition of the road Ed.   
Very realistic even though it hides most of the underlying buildup you did.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Dave .. that's because like others on this forum .. I have no idea where I'm going until I get there :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

eTraxx

I have about a week left in the Kitforum build. I have a small structure .. the side in the photo measures 2-5/8 inches wide. This is still a 'work in progress' .. need to clean up the ends of the joists .. and add some blocking. Meh. One thing I learned was .. if you are going to poke holes in the aluminum .. then do it while the sheet is on the workbench so you have more control. I made the holes too big but I will live with that since I consider this a training exercise. I had originally meant to cover this with boards so I didn't pay much attention to the stud spacing - which I need to do when covering with corrugated sheet as they need to nail to the studs. Oh well ... next time.

I followed Marc's tutorial on etching the aluminum (cut from disposable aluminum pan) and used the Fassett Studios tool to create the corrugations. I had to use a tapestry needle to press the aluminum into the corrugations as the thicker nature of the 'pie pan' aluminum beat my fingers. The sheet on the left came out well .. I think. it is the same as all the rest except I scrubbed the surface with some white weathering powder to represent a 'new' piece of corrugated sheet.
Ed Traxler

lab-dad

May be some green moss would cut the pink tint of the other three panels?

Put some signs on the wall and call the large holes "bullet holes"?

A thought just occurred - a birds nest up in the crook of one of the rafters?

-Mj

finescalerr

Yeah, the rust coloration seems to need a little toning down unless your camera is exaggerating the reds.

If you add a bird's nest, you also should add the fuzz inside the nest (molting?) and maybe tiny eggs. Also ants and other insects and spider webs (with all the webbing, not just the part Chuck modeled). Maybe bacteria. And don't forget electrons.

Russ

eTraxx

I took that last night under the room lights .. and while I tried to correct for the lighting I probably fudged on the reddish side. My *plan* is to get the modeling bit finished and then come back and work on detailing .. like toning down, touching up and so on.

Took this one this morning after the sun was up. Really need to go outside for truer colors.

Ed Traxler

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on June 27, 2013, 11:25:41 AM
Yeah, the rust coloration seems to need a little toning down unless your camera is exaggerating the reds.

If you add a bird's nest, you also should add the fuzz inside the nest (molting?) and maybe tiny eggs. Also ants and other insects and spider webs (with all the webbing, not just the part Chuck modeled). Maybe bacteria. And don't forget electrons.

Russ

Maybe a brief spell in the corner will curb your need to be rude and sarcastic to one of your loyal followers . After all , a chap in your position of self - importance  should be setting an example . However ,  what sort of an example is unclear .

I say , shame on you , Sir .

Mrs. Trellis of North Wales  ( a very British joke , that )

eTraxx

Quote from: eTraxx on June 27, 2013, 11:32:50 AM
I took that last night under the room lights .. and while I tried to correct for the lighting I probably fudged on the reddish side. My *plan* is to get the modeling bit finished and then come back and work on detailing .. like toning down, touching up and so on.

Took this one this morning after the sun was up. Really need to go outside for truer colors.

Ummm. I think at some point you would violate the Law of Causality
Ed Traxler