• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Need info on painting HO brick building

Started by Mobilgas, March 01, 2014, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobilgas

Would like info on painting building in water  based paints. Looked through what info I had and I'm not finding any thing I like. Will seal first with MR. hobby super clear.
Craig

finescalerr

If your goal is to produce an acceptable "background" structure, you probably already have read the steps: Spray with a basic brick color, pick out random bricks with variations of the basic color, apply mortar either as a wash (not my favorite method) or with powder to the whole building, and rub off most of it. After that you can clear coat it if you want (I usually find that unnecessary and potentially damaging to the finish) and apply final weathering.

While that is a "quick and dirty" method it actually takes a fair amount of time.

Making your structure look better will require more detail work on each step and some of the guys here have gone into great detail. Most recently Marc Reusser wrote an outstanding article about coloring and weathering brick in the 2013 Modelers' Annual.

Russ

shropshire lad

For me the best looking brickwork in HO was done by Lane Stewart in several articles in the Gazette in the early to mid 1990s . He did not seal the plaster before painting and used watercolours as washes . He only sealed the plaster before adding mortar to the joints . He produced some very convincing brickwork .

I have yet to see any brick work that surpasses it that has been painted after being sealed , though no doubt someone , somewhere , has done it .

I can't give you the exact issues of the articles as I'm going to bed now . Maybe someone else might take the trouble in doing so if you are interested .

Nick

mspaw

Id love to see a sbs of his technique if anyone has access to the specific articles. Marc's latest offering in the Annual has me itching to make a small test piece to play with his technique. Ive also seen some nice looking ceramic 1/35 bricks from Germany if i remember correctly. Ill see if I can find the link again.

Thanks

-Michael

Mobilgas

Russ,  I forgot about Marc's article, I like the color's he used but being the bricks are so small would be a pain to use marc's techniques. Nick, Ill check my Gazette's and see if I can find the articles buy Lane Stewart.      I might of Goofed the building up last night being in a hurry to DO SOMETHING I used water based craft paints with out sealing the brick...and don't like the way it turned out :-[                                                                                                                                  
Craig