• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Razor saw rant

Started by Ray Dunakin, December 05, 2013, 09:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Has anyone here EVER had any success using a razor saw blade in an actual handle? Whenever I've tried it, the handle was freaking useless. Any downward pressure on the blade would pull it out of the handle, or bend the skinny little "shaft" of the blade connecting it to the handle, or both. So I don't even bother with the handles anymore, but trying to keep a good grip on it while vigorously sawing is not easy and I end up with a sore hand and a lot of little cuts.

Also, they really should make the blades longer! When you're using the typical hobby-style aluminum miter box to cut something at a 45 degree angle, you've only got about an inch of movement before it slips out of the groove in the box.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

I never use the handles.

I use the Atlas Snap saw almost exclusively.

I cut a piece of plywood to fit into the base of my aluminum miter saw box.

I glued it in place so that the depth is just a shade over 1/4 inch.

That works for all of my modeling.

Those boxes are cheap enough you could easily make one for 1/4 inch depth and a second for 3/8 inch depth.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

lab-dad

I have the Zona 3-pack with the interchangeable handles.
No problem there.
But I dont use them often.
I do a lot on the band-saw and true up on the sander.
-Marty

Lawton Maner

How about the fact that the slot in the mitre box is so much wider then the saw blade.  Any yime I need accurate, repeatable cuts, I use my Barnes Table saw with either the Mitre accessory or my home made cross cut table.

5thwheel

If you are talking about X-Acto type saws? I have used mine for many years, carried over from my teen years. I fit a dowel into the inside of the blade tang.  I am still using the same fine blade I have had for many years.  It is almost so dull you can't see the teeth but it works nicely even on brass tubing. Does not leave many burrs. I don't think the newer blades are as hard as the old ones.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Malachi Constant

I got this one years ago and it's surprisingly nice ... long blade, solid handle ... AND the slots in the box are a close fit to the blade.  Of course, it's unmarked and I have no idea where I got it now ... maybe someone will recognize.  The miter box is aluminum, but has a gold/brass coloring to it ...

As for the small crappy ones, I just use those without the handles and yeah the sloppy miter boxes make me rant too!  ;D

Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Bexley

I think that was made by Zona.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Malachi Constant

Yeah, this looks like it:

http://www.zonatool.net/35-231.html

It works as my "good" razor saw and box ... fine teeth, narrow slots in box ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

I had problems with the handle of my Zona saw. So years ago I bought an X-Acto saw and it has worked fine. I waited to respond to see what experience others have had. Seems all your options are above. -- Russ

John Lostcreek

I always use a thin piece of playwood on the bottom. It protects the saw and makes more beautiful cut

john LC