• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Making Cones from scratch.

Started by 5thwheel, January 11, 2014, 07:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

While browsing through Ray Dunakin's In-Ko-Paw RR I noticed the topic of cones. I have also seen else where here the use of plastic funnels for cones.  If you can design and make your own cone then you have much more freedom in your design.  About 19 years ago I taught a class in miniature tin ware at the guild School in Castine, Maine.  I put together a booklet for that class that explains various methods of layout for tin.  these methods should work for other mediums too.  I use old file folders to make my patterns and have even made objects from the folder material and painted them.  I don't feel I should post this tutorial here in full as it is already on another forum.  However I have given a link to the tutorial below.  At the bottom of the article is a link to the original tutorial thread where there is a bit more information and discussion.  I hope some of you find this helpful.

Bill Hudson

http://www.scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/(Tips%20&%20Ideas).htm#tintut
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Bill,
Great information, well presented.

I posted similar information a couple years ago, in the course of one of my projects someone wanted to know how I made my cones.  I made some drawings and step by step layout information covering Radial Line Development.  One guy wanted to know how to do an irregular cone (for a wagon top boiler flare).  I didn't feel that I could competently explain "Triangulation" from the ground up to him on line, so I showed him a method of "Rollation" that would get him very close.  I don't know that anybody ever used the information as I have never heard of or seen it used. 

Hope your information is more useful to people.
Rick

5thwheel

Rick,

Most of the information I posted is fairly standard everyday sheet metal layout methods adapted to miniature utilization.  Most of it came from a WWII US Navy Shipfitter-M 3&2 NAVPERS 1056-C training manual. I tried to keep it as simple as possible and still be useable and quite accurate. I just put it together for use in making miniature, 1/12th scale, tinware in my class. I know there are other ways of laying out the patterns using calculations but my mind does not think mathematically rather it thinks mechanical; spatially. I have to be thankful for the modern day calculators that help me do the trig when needed, otherwise I would be lost.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Max Corey

I use the same methods of flat pattern sheet metal layout on my outboard cowlings for the Ford Tri-Motors and other parts.  Also have a similar combination shear, press brake and slip rolls but also much bigger such equipment.  I also often make cardboard templates to get the sizes and fits figured out then make the parts in aluminum.  Thanks for the info, it is always helpful.

A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

Gordon Ferguson

Bill, thanks for this info. I had downloaded it before but had lost it !

And Rick your info certainly has been used by me ........ In fact the whole thread on the "crane" has been printed off and refered to many times
Gordon

SandiaPaul

I too have the cone info saved, its very well done.

What is the "Crane" that is refereed to?

Paul
Paul

Hydrostat

Thank you very much Bill! I downloaded your tutorial. This is very well explained and useful!

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Gordon Ferguson

Gordon

jacq01

I always loose my cones.......particulary the ones filled with icecream  ;D ;D

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Jacq, go stand in the corner. -- Russ

David Emery