• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Storing tiny drill bits

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 13, 2012, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

I have a circular drill stand for the tiny ones (61 thru 80), as well as an assorted small box like Marc.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

Here is my storage box for drill bits : from 0.3 mm to 2.0 mm by 0.1 mm increments. Efficient.
Frederic Testard

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Design-HSB

Quote from: Bexley on March 13, 2014, 06:31:29 AM
What's a millimeter?
Millimeters of 1000 of a meter, and the only truly good measure of length.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Frederic Testard

Millimeter is the English way to write mm, I guess.
Apart from that it's easy to convert from true units to mm :
If you want to start from an inch : just multiply by 0,03937007874015748031496062992126
Maybe you prefer to start from a foot : simply multiply by 0,003280839895013123359580052493438
Prefer a yard : multiply by 0,001093613298337707786526684164479
A mile : multiply by 0,00000062137119223733396961743418436332.
Indeed, this "1000 millimeter = 1 meter" rule definitely lacks romance, Helmut...
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

For some time I have sensed a hint of insanity on this forum. It has evolved to a proclamation. -- Russ

greenie

For those who are severely mentally 'challenged' and can't quite seem to work out how the rest of the world manages to use the metric system, then here's a simple way to convert it to that known 'mongrel' measuring system.

Now it won't be too much longer, and even that "last bastion of stupidity", will be using the world dominant metric measuring system.

This is only for the die-hards, who's inability to change, will not allow them to get away from that 'mongrel' system of measurement.

So for every millimetre, instead of using the exact true 'mongrel' measurement of —  0,03937007874015748031496062992126 " , or as most would simply call it = 0.0394 '', then why not just use a very simplified version and say that 1-00mm  = 0.040".

Much more easier, OK, ————— not dead nuts true spot on, but, it sure makes it a lot easier to get close to whatever 'mongrel measurement' your trying to hit.

OK, flack jacket on and I'm out the door for the next day or two, just to let the dust settle.

regards  greenie

Design-HSB

Here is my drill stand for 1 to 5.9 mm.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Chuck Doan

inch unit times 25.4 = mm
mm unit divided by 25.4 = inches
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bexley

Whoa, totally didn't expect an actual conversation to ensue from my jacka-- comment.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

chester

I have a foot but I don't use it, as a rule.

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

AlexG

Gents, sorry to interefere here.
Hope to post both pics here. I have some drill bits in boxes ... but, in the end, they arrive in boxes, like you see in the 2nd pict.
My workshop is far ... from an adequate workshop, more or less, is a mess ...

As you can see, I'm also a milimeter guy. So, Marc, I'll take your foot  ;)
Strange thing in my country, we use for water, heat and gas pipes the ... imperial system, but under his German name - Zoll, equal with the inch.

And one funny - let's say, thing.
Your "foot" - the phonetic word, read in Romanian means what your word starting with "f" means ...
I hope that I wasn't too out of line.

Alex

nemmrrc

Quote from: AlexG on March 18, 2014, 11:03:52 AM
And one funny - let's say, thing.
Your "foot" - the phonetic word, read in Romanian means what your word starting with "f" means ...
I hope that I wasn't too out of line.

Alex
In Spanish, the pronunciation of the verb "to step on" means the same thing. Odd that a foot and what it does (step) could mean the same in Romanian and Spanish.

I have no photo to illustrate how i store tiny drill bits but let's say I only buy the ones that come in their own storage box/case.

Jaime