• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Potentially usefull tool for corrugating

Started by SandiaPaul, October 12, 2014, 07:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

Ran across this and thought it might be of some use, if no one has seen it before.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/tube-wringer/

Paul
Paul

Lawton Maner

Tube wringer works well for those of us who are more then a bit "tight" with their money. I have one in the big shop to get the last drop of adhesive out when fabricating solid surface countertops. It would work for the larger scales as the teeth are fairly far apart. I'm still looking for something which will work in 1:48 scale.

SandiaPaul

Paul

finescalerr

The Dick Blick item also is available at Michael's craft stores. It make corrugations mostly suitable for the scales around 1:24.

How would we use the pinion things, especially if we have poor metalworking skills?

Russ

LesTindall

I use KS Metals 1/48th scale corrugated sheet (Aluminium) even though I work in 1/35th scale.   Lawton Manor - I don't know if you are UK based but it is obtainable from Metalsmith.co.uk (£7.50 a pack).  Can be "etched" with Ferric Chloride for good rusting/weathering effects.
Les

eTraxx

I used a Fiskar Crimping tool to make the corrugated roofing here in 1:24

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

SandiaPaul

To use the pinion wire you pretty much would need some machine tools. Basically you would just make a version of the crimper but using the finer pitch pinion wire. You do do it with hand methods, like a hand drill but you would need to get the holes in the ends pretty close to center.

Paul
Paul

Stoker

Here is my high tech method for stamping corrugated sheeting from aluminum (Aluminium for you brits  ;) )"beverage" cans:

The stamping process goes real well with producing more raw material.  ;D Playing "Powerhouse" from the Looney tunes cartoons really sets the mood.  :D  I have been using this for 1:48 and it looks good for my purposes, although at 6" per corrugation it is like industrial corrugated for that scale.

Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis