• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Karl- Geraet LOKI....rusty and forgotten

Started by Mr scratchmod, October 29, 2011, 07:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr scratchmod

One of the projects that's on the bench is the Trumpeter Karl kit without rail cars. This will be a big dio compared to what I normally do, roughly 18"x24". I normally spend more effort on the vehicle and very little on the base and groundwork, so as not to distract from the vehicle its self.

The Loki was one of two Karl's captured by the US forces in WWII, this Karl took a direct hit, destroying most of the front end where the driver and motor compartment was located. Not much info out there on what happened to this Karl so I figured maybe it was to be scrapped.... but in the case of my Loki, it's still sitting in a junk/scrap yard somewhere in Europe.
The motivator for this dio came from all the great stuff you guys are building and sharing here on the forum.

Anyways, here is one of the pics of the Karl-Loki

Here is my start on the kit hull. I plan on having the gun and cradle removed. I was thinking of scratch building a crane that was used to lift these two heavy pieces...we'll see how much time I'll have for that since I want to have this done by the end of April next year.

The inside of the hull still needs a lot of work, and right now I'm searching for nuts and bolts, too time consuming using a punch and dye, or slicing sprue. That's about it until I finish another project that has priority over this one.
Any tips and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Rob

Mr scratchmod

oops, I think I started this in the wrong place, was meant to be in the Military section. Sorry
Rob

marc_reusser

Awesome Rob. Great to see this build here. I have heard rumblings around the interweb that you were going to build this :D ...glad to see you sharing it here.

Why April....ist Folkstone/Euro in September?

This is a fine place for the build....it can always be moved to the mil section later if the Oh Great  Pontif Russ deems it to be so.

M

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

I know nothing about these beasts but the basic cradle/carrier looks very similar to this , which may be of interest

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8884#p66881
Gordon

Mr scratchmod

Been following that build as well. Had once planned on doing the same but never got to it. The Karl-geraet is also a big gun, but more a morter.

Nah Marc, no Euro for me. Will be bringing this to the AMPS Nats next year in Indiana....if it is done in time. Will also bring the old timer to display at the AK tables.

Rob

Mr scratchmod

I've glued some of the cradle, gun block and barrel with breech. I've posed a 1/35 Grille for size comparison. I'll have to glue together a figure to use for the comparison pics.

I'll be getting back to the hull when my NBW's order arrives, then it's down to business with this big gal.
Rob

marc_reusser

Great stuff! Nice progress. I assumme you will you be leaving the two pieces separated like that.

Thats a freaking big model.

M

M-Works

Mr scratchmod

Hiya Marc. Yep she's a big one all right. Next to the large scale Revell clipper ships I built many moons ago, this is the biggest so far. The cradle and the barrel will be on the ground but not together. Still thinking out the details. Waiting for the Tichy NBW's to arrive so I can dig into this baby.

Rob

finescalerr

I just want to see this thing come together. It should be fun to watch your progress. -- Russ

mad gerald

Rob,

surfing the WWW I came across the Mortar Karl (Geraet 040/041), hoping there's some additional information for you behind these links:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6rser_Karl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl-Ger%C3%A4t

http://www.panzer-modell.de/berichte/karl-6/karl.htm (building report - Karl VI)

http://www.world-in-scale.de/bauberichte/1-35-mörser-karl-gerät/ (another building report - Karl I)

... so if your version is "Loki" you are going to build Karl V?

Regards

Mr scratchmod

Thanks for checking in on this build, and many thanks for taking the time to do some searching for me. The first two links gave some good info and more than is in the Panzertracks book I have. Seams there is not much info on the Loki AFTER it was damaged/ captured by US forces while heading by rail to Ramagen.
I've done some drawing/marking the bolt locations on the inner hull walls, and when I get my order in I'll add the missing details. Should add some eye candy to the model.

Rob

Mr scratchmod

Finished up the bolts and glued in the axle thingies. The torsion bars are just dry fitted and will be the last thing glued in once the painting of the sides and floor are done. The gray stuff ( torsion bar thingies) are resin copies of the kit ( yellow) parts. These were done by Steve Reid of Celtikwerks. He came thru again and had these cast up in a week or so...even with his busy (casting) schedule.Just some more odds and ends including the drive shaft and this part will be done...then onto the motor comp.

marc_reusser

That is looking sweet. Nice work on the castings. Did the kit not come with enough?

M

M-Works

Mr scratchmod

Thanks Marc. The kit only supplies half of what is needed so I had to have the cast in resin. The other kit parts will be installed in the motor compartment.
Rob

Chuck Doan

This is a great project! It will be neat to see you get all rusty with it.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/