• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Model Railroad Enthusiast with a B9 Creator

Started by Bexley, August 27, 2015, 11:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bexley

There's a guy over on the B9 forums who is using 3d scans of people to create HO scale railroad figures.

http://www.b9creator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3717
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

mad gerald

... what about THESE (scroll down), beginning at approx. scale 1/18 ... ?!?!?! Rather scary, isn't it?!  :o

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Holy cow, those 1/18th figures are incredibly lifelike!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Stoker

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on August 27, 2015, 06:30:43 PM
Holy cow, those 1/18th figures are incredibly lifelike!

Those are definitely so real they are spooky. I can see a big market for wedding poses figures. Can you imagine having spooky real versions of yourselves on top of your wedding cake? The crazy gotta have it bridezilla's will have to have these. The 1/87 figures are amazing as well. Very good definition, they look like they have molded plastic shine instead of print layering on them. I recall talking to Traxler about this type of thing a while back after he did that fat man with a pole. I can see a huge market for this, especially if they can work it out to get the model from 2d still pictures that anyone can do, so you do not have to go where they have the 3d imaging equipment.

Also: I am curious about the incredible paint job on those 1/18 ones, is that done by hand?  ???
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Stoker on August 28, 2015, 08:13:01 AM

Also: I am curious about the incredible paint job on those 1/18 ones, is that done by hand?  ???

I believe it was done as part of the scanning/printing process.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Stoker

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on August 28, 2015, 10:04:03 AM
Quote from: Stoker on August 28, 2015, 08:13:01 AM

I believe it was done as part of the scanning/printing process.

I suspected that may be the case, as it is so exact, even in the most intricate details. Is it spray (shoot drops?) after? Or is it a color the actual material as you go type of process - drop by drop or I suppose it would be possible to introduce color as a strand was melted as well. Please forgive my laziness for not translating and reading that page myself, as the answer to that question is probably there. Just wondering if anyone already knows the answer. 
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

mad gerald

G'evening all,

Just stumblin' in here accidentally ... I'm not quite sure about the technique, but here's a link regarding the technical specification of the printer being used ...

http://www.3dgeneration.com/3d-service/

... unfortunately in German (sorry for the inconvenience).

The description says, approx. 390,000 colours are possible and the printer uses 5 printheads. So I guess, it's - more or less - working like an ink-jet (or any other colour printer), colouring (innjecting) the polymerplaster/clay drop by drop in every layer.

Most frightening IMHO is, that "someone" has access to a data-set containing all information regarding your outer appearance, which eventually could lead to the possibility creating not only copies from scale 1/18 (10cm) to scale 1/5 (35 cm), but also in scale 1/1 copies ... in some way ...  ::)

mad gerald