• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Metal cutting guillotine

Started by Lawton Maner, June 20, 2016, 02:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawton Maner

I am looking for an affordable metal cutting guillotine with which to cut brass and steel strips up to .030" thickness and lengths up to 12" long.  Rio Grande and a couple of other jewelry supply houses have a couple of examples, but they range up to $900.00 which is above my price range.  Most of the pros have panned the cheaper multi machines from places like micro mark and the curling which comes from cutting with scissors isn't acceptable.  Any suggestions?

NORCALLOGGER

Well,  be aware that even the best shear will produce a certain amount of "curling" on narrow cuts of thin material.
It is just the nature of the machine.
Rick

greenie

Here's a Chinese made one that DOES work, I have one of these and I sure didn't pay what they are asking for it now. This is in Australia, BUT you have quiet a few big box el-cheapo stores over in the states, that sell this stuff for half this price.
OK, it sure aint an excellent quality German, USA, English made item, but hey, for the price, what do you expect/want ?

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/S648
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Combination-Panbrake-Folder-Guillotine-Roll

It will give a curl to thin brass, 0.010" and thinner, as already stated by  NORCALLOGGER.
You'll need to have a good strong arm, to hack thru a foot of 0.030" brass in one whack too.

It will NOT cut a DEAD square cut edge either, it will leave a slightly rounded/deformed edge on one edge of the cut pieces and the opposite on the other side's edge, that's just the nature of the beast, EVERY metal cutting guillotine will do that.
To square these edges up, you will have to take to them with a file.

I use it, the el-cheapo guillotine, for straightening up edges on bit's of sheet brass, then shove the brass sheet thru a Jewellers saw, for really good accurate width and square cut edges on the strips of brass I need.
Using this saw, I can hold the accuracy of the width of a strip of say 0.020" brass by 1/4" wide, to with-in a couple of thous over the length of a 6 inch strip.
Not quite as accurate as a milling machine, but hey, it's close enough for me.

lab-dad

I have found for sheet under .015" a utility knife and a straight edge work nicely.
I have done .032 this way also but it takes longer.
What about a bench top band saw with a zero clearance throat plate?
I use my band saw for a lot of metal.
-Marty

SandiaPaul

I have no experience with this...but this looks to be "a cut above" :)

https://contenti.com/pepetools-compact-guillotine-shear
Paul

Jim Kottkamp

Grizzly Industrial carries a shear, roller, and break for $358.95 with shipping.  I've used this model for years with consistently satisfactory results.
On thin sheet stock place a sheet of thicker stock under the thin stock and it will cut evenly.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Combination-3-in-1-Sheet-Metal-Machine/T21320

5thwheel

I have the harbor freight version of the smaller one. 12'is it's maximum. I normally cut .010 tin and brass with it (some styrene too) but have cut .027 to .030 mild steel with it. Cutting the thicker stock, especially mild steel, taxes the machine and it takes several pushes to get the cut complete. The thicker steel comes out with a slight twist but the thiner stuff comes out with out twist or curl.  I get good edges with mine but I keep mine tuned up.  The bottom blade is adjustable in and out. I drop the upper blade (guillotine) down and then adjust the lower blade tight against it. The upper guillotine blade can be adjusted to tighten up the inward and outward movement. I keep mine very tight and can cut very thin shim stock with out any problems. The blades can be rotated to a new cutting surface. I have had mine for over ten years and have just rotated the blades. They are replaceable but I have not found a USA source for the blades. The cutting action is not a straight drop down cut. It starts the cut at the right end in a shearing action.  I use the rolls once in a while but the break part is useless except on heavy stock. There is probably an adjustment for the brake for thinner stock but I have not bothered using it as I have a simpler break for bending.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.