• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

freelanced tank car kitbash

Started by Bill Gill, September 03, 2018, 02:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

I pointed out the short tank bands in the primer photos above. Here's why they were so short. I wanted to try to model what seemed the more common connection strap end, a rod welded to the end of the strap with a turnbuckle to adjust the tension. Most of the prototype photos showed rods welded to the outside faces of the straps. I also wanted to attach the rods to the inside of the straps to help reinforce and support the fragile 0.05 inch thick styrene band. I managed to crack two of them while building the car.

Luckily I found one prototype photo where the rod was between the strap and tank and that happened to match my freelanced "prototype" exactly :) My fittings are Tichy turnbuckles on monofilament line. The clear monofilament gives the center of the turnbuckle an open appearance.

I drilled a hole through the slot on the outside of the tank saddles and straight down through the bottom of the truck bolster under it. The line was first aligned and glued to the inside of the strap. Then I gently added slight tension to the other end of the line and glued and then clipped it flush with the bolster. The line does really help support the styrene band ends where they separate from the tank.

finescalerr

That must have been a nightmare to fabricate and install. You are building up minuscule detail in a small scale and doing it cleanly.

Don't grunge up the car too much. Maybe a few carefully placed light touches of pastel powder or a very subtle wash here or there. Less is more.

Russ

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Great detail for such a small scale!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill