• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/48th Gas Pump

Started by Eric Green, February 05, 2019, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Green

This is close to a Wayne 1930 pump with some add-ons.

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! I especially like the color and texture of the steel drums and oil pump.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Eric Green

The white hose is rarely modeled but is correct.  Rubber wasn't of a high enough quality then so it needed the cloth covering.  I made it with a thin string covered in 15 coats of Matt acrylic medium, just a quick dip and hung to drip dry.  Then I pinched out odd bumps, then colored it with ivory acrylic.  I tend to give a VERY thin wash of black acrylic to everything once completed.

The crank handle is wrong for this pump, but I like them.  The numbers are a photo covered in GAC 100.  Then a Mylar face over that, then more GAC to seal the edges.  GAC 100 is a miracle for hard high gloss.  I use it to make old glass.

Chuck, I sent you pictures of the gas station I copied the coloring from.  I find lack of good color prototype photos hold my modeling back the most.  I'm always guessing.  Too many modelers simply copy other models, which are many time completely wrong.  Like board by board siding.  It weathers evenly, not all varied to show off board by board.

Eric Green

In location, town of Penobscot Falls, 1956

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mobilgas

Eric,  The gas pump is a wayne 60 Gas pump collectors call them Soldier Boys. I bought and sold a few over the Years it' one of my Favorite pumps. And yes the crank handle is not correct. If I remember right the pump motor started on/off when the pump nozzle came off the Holder? Is the pump from Siera West?
Craig

Eric Green

The primary casting is SW, everything else is me, hose, numbers, glass, etc.   So, above the numbers, how did I do that? Reminds me of old drum set finishes.