• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

PASSING OF A GREAT MODELER!!

Started by TRAINS1941, December 16, 2018, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Not sure how many of you remember  Frederic Testard??

Sorry to say he passed away at the young age of 57.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on December 16, 2018, 02:36:14 PM
Not sure how many of you remember  Frederic Testard??

Sorry to say he passed away at the young age of 57.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Jerry

Yes, I remember him and I'm very sorry to hear of his passing -- especially at such a young age.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mabloodhound

A very sad day and so young, leaving a wife and young twins.
His modeling along with Troels was excellent.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

That is terrible news. I published an article by Frederic and used to stay in touch with him by e-mail. He was a good guy. I have lost several other friends over the past few years. The most notorious was Don M. Scott, Railroad Man, just last month. -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

I am always saddened by this news, it comes as a shock, my deepest sympathies to his young family. I am also shocked of the news of Mr. Don M. Scott, Russ I am very sorry for your loss and also my deepest sympathies to the Scott family.
Upon hearing the news of the "Railroad Man" my emotions ran wild, sadness,  grief, fear, and then remembrance, and reverence.
Because of you Uncle Russ the "Railroad Man" lives in epiphany...
I was always excited at the end of your magazine cycle , because I knew another exciting and unbelievable adventure was coming in the mail, even though your covers and article would fill many enjoyable hours, it was the "Railroad Man" Adventures that were foremost ...
I never got to meet him, and it seamed like I would always just miss him at events, it's probably better because he looms larger than life in my mind and memories, in fact I will dig out his and your adventures and revisit them. He looms in my mind like a Micky Spillane character, with a dash of Jack Reacher and John C. Riley mixed in. Because of you he s not gone but rather will live forever, ...
Gil Flores
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

To look at the Railroad Man you never would guess he was extraordinarily intelligent and perceptive. He dressed like a homeless person, looked like a younger version of Santa Claus, and when we were near a layout I always had the sense I was with a bull in a China shop. Fortunately he never broke anything. His attention span rarely lasted longer than ten minutes so some conversations could be frustrating but, if the subject was something of consequence, Don would manage to provide an important insight before he changed the subject. Incidentally, he was an attorney in real life, but one who wore sweatpants and railroad hats to his office.

When he moved up to Gig Harbor, Washington and people in the live steam community eventually found out he was "the" Don M. Scott, Railroad Man they invited him to everything and he ended up with a busy social life. Apparently he was famous. That's surprising because I think the final RRMan adventure was in 1999 or 2000 and most appeared in Outdoor Railroader, not Finescale Railroader.

If it makes you feel any better, Charlie Getz also just missed meeting him once or twice and then accused me of inventing Don altogether. What's worse, the people in Washington think Don invented ME!

Russ