• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Gorilla Glue

Started by Lawton Maner, July 17, 2019, 07:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawton Maner

Last night I was assembling a dozen window sashes for an East Broad Top coach that the Friends of the East Broad Top are doing heavy repairs (one to one modeling).  I used Gorilla Glue to bond the sashes.  Because I do not have enough bar clamps of the right size to do it in one batch, I had to do it in 3 batches.  Between batches I cleaned the brush with acetone to get the adhesive out of the bristles.  This morning I discovered the leftover acetone had turned into a cream colored solid about the texture of yogurt.  What other things can happen to Gorilla Glue that is unexpected?

Bill Gill

What kind of Gorgilla Glue? Sounds like it was the original.

I have only used it a little and found in one application where i tried bonding styrene to metal (scuffed up) it didn't make a solid bond and was brittle. That was unexpected from what i'd read about the glue.

Do you think the "yogurt" you created could be used as a filler/putty for some projects? Will it cure as the acetone evaporates further?

Lawton Maner

I have no idea.  I chucked the entire mess out this morning when I found it.  I suspect that there was some moisture in the mix, as I generally moisten one side of anything I bond with the Gorilla Glue making it swell a bit and bond quicker.  I've had it stick to anything it touches including glass and metal.  I've never gotten it to bond to silicon materials or to type 5 plastic containers from which I hold it while spreading onto wooden joints.  Other then that i have found it to stick to almost everything.