• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Earthquake Protection For My Models

Started by Scratchman, October 28, 2019, 09:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Earthquake Protection For My Models  
Photo 1
My four 1:16 scale Outhouses are safe on top of my storage cabinet. I nailed a 1x4 in the front and a piece going down each sides to keep them from sliding off. The cabinet also needs to be tied to the wall (I'm only protecting the model).

Photo 2
The keeper boards is ¾ inch new or old cedar, cut to various heights with a thin slot on each end. The slot slides over a small pin (screw type L hook) or (¼ inch lag bolt with a washer), drill pilot holes to prevent splinting. When fitting the keeper board to the pin, leave a little extra room, so the board will slide in and out easily.

Photo 3
On this I added a up-right board for the keeper board to be pined to. All models are 1:16 scale. The models on the top shelf just being stored until I find a spot for display and it give protection (I'm only protecting the model).

Photo 4
The models on the top shelf are 1:24 scale. The models are on a ¾ inch heavy particle board base. The 2x6 shelf face  is a inch higher than the top of the shelf keeping the models from sliding off. I added up-right board to ends of the shelf for the keeper board to be pined to. Some of the models in this photo are just being stored till I fine a spot for display and give protection.

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

Chuck Doan

A good idea. As a kid, I lost several models off of shelves in the Northridge quake. A couple of local quakes in the past trashed my workbench, so i keep my current project in a low dresser drawer at night. Fortunately the July 4th and 5th quakes this year didn't cause any damage here.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Over the past few years I've worried more about fires than earthquakes. When I load up the car to prepare for an evacuation, my models must stay in the house but the photos I shot of them (on external hard drives and in computers) go into the car. Isn't that charming? -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Good idea.

There's a lot of man-hours, and mighty fine modeling, on those shelves!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

Definitely got me to thinking! We had a couple sharp jolts here a couple weeks ago that caused only minor damage, but there was a large piece of art over our bed that had it fallen would have caused some serious injury to my wife and me. I immediately took it down but there's a lot of stuff that needs some attention.