• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:22,5 Gmeinder 10-12PS/German Feldbahn

Started by fspg2, March 01, 2011, 11:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

The following picture shows the buffers after grinding at the rotating disk.

Gmeinder_10-12_Puffer_11 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Puffer_08 (fspg2)

After this all buffers had been in the vibrating polishing drum for 4 hours, I washed them under hot water with an old toothbrush and some soap.

What you can see in the photo above (after washing - not sandblasted), all the sharp edges have been slightly rounded - exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Frithjof

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

While I had been working on hinges for the Kemna roller for the past few days, I also came across some castings that I let printed in 2010 and then reproduced using rubber molds.

Gmeinder_Knebel_2 (fspg2)

On the above cast tree there are two hinges for the side fan flap of the Gmeinder 10-12PS.

Gmeinder_10-12_Scharnier_08 (fspg2)

On closer inspection it is noticeable that they do not have any through holes - the hole diameter of only 0.5mm was probably not feasible with this rubber form.
For a wider part, the caster would have inserted a corresponding wire as a placeholder, here the length of the wire would have been around 3-4 millimeters.

So again a small jig was milled out of a 6.0mm HPL plate in order to hold the hinge securely in it when drilling later.

Gmeinder_10-12_Scharnier_01 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Scharnier_02 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Scharnier_03 (fspg2)

The drilling jig was clamped in a small vice on the cross table of the milling stand, the hinge inserted and fixed with a small piece of wood and some tape.
TThen the 0.5mm drill was positioned exactly over the indicated depression. A small drop of cutting oil helped with the drilling.

Gmeinder_10-12_Scharnier_04 (fspg2)

Then I remove dthe piece of wood and the masking tape again to look at the hinge.

Gmeinder_10-12_Scharnier_05 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Scharnier_06 (fspg2)

A trial possession on the Gmeinder - it fits.

Gmeinder_10-12_Scharnier_07 (fspg2)

Now comes the boring part ... there are 43 hinges left to drill!

Frithjof

Franck Tavernier

As Always, Frithjof, it's amazing!

As Always, Frithjof, amazing job!

Very impressive technics.

Franck

finescalerr

fspg2

It´s usually only cooked with water :-)

Drilling the small hinges was done in under one hour - it was faster than I thought.

I only left out the piece of wood to fix the small hinge. With a small screwdriver in my left hand, I pressed the part into the drilling template and was able to guide the milling head with my right hand.

Thanks to the cutting oil, the drill didn't break. Especially with cast parts, I often had cavities in the material in which such small drills tend to break - if I hadn't used oil.

The cooler will be created in two parts. The outer housing was printed in plastic on a Formlabs 3 printer.

Gmeinder_10-12_Kühler_02 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_ Kühler_03 (fspg2)

In contrast to older Formlabs printers, it´s now possible to reduce the diameter of the contact points between the support structure and the component to 1/100mm.

Gmeinder_10-12_ Kühler_04 (fspg2)

The printed radiator frames had no mounting holes in the 4 angles.

I wanted to make sure that if there were any dimensional deviations during 3D printing, the holes would not be congruent with the front panel.

Gmeinder_10-12_Kühler_01 (fspg2)

Therefore, they were  drilled in a small gauge subsequently.

Gmeinder_10-12_Kühler_05 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Kühler_06 (fspg2)

Now the interior of the cooler is still missing. To do this, I milled a small subframe for the backside, which will  take the grids  on both sides later and additional weight.

Gmeinder_10-12_Kühler_07 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Kühler_08 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Kühler_09 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

fspg2

Thanks for your comments!

For the grille of the cooler, I had tried various purchased grids, but I didn't really like the two smallest from modulor (https://www.modulor.de/en/sheets-mesh/wire-mesh/):

Gmeinder_10-12_Ku_776_hler_10 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Ku_776_hler_11 (fspg2)

When I recently talked to a few friends about the grilles of the Gmeinder cooler, I got very quick help from Paul, who sent me two small test grids with a tiny grid dimension.

The diamond has a dimension of only w = 0.553mm and h = 0.319mm!

Gmeinder_10-12_Kuehler_14 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Kuehler_12 (fspg2)

It remains to be seen whether the grille can be seen at all from a normal distance in the fully assembled bonnet.

Gmeinder_10-12_Kuehler_13 (fspg2)

At least I like it!

Frithjof

finescalerr

Don't worry whether somebody else can see how terrific it looks. It's perfect. -- Russ

Bernhard

The etched Grid looks perfect. Much better than the other two versions.

Bernhard

Lawton Maner

I am going to start collecting empty Whisky bottles, one at a time.  I can't compete with this level of skill.

What alloy was used to cast the hinge parts?

nk

This is really an credible build with so much though going into the texture of the surfaces. I am deeply impressed.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/