• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

C.R. LAMB Sternwheeler in HO

Started by Rail and Tie, September 02, 2013, 12:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Gee, you sure have big hands. -- Russ

chester

Excellent.

Max Corey

Having built several stern wheel steam boats, I can appreciate your work on the Lamb.   I wish I had taken construction photos of the Susie (and many models for that matter).

Great model, thanks for showing her off.

Max baling hay in MI
A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

Rail and Tie

Thanks for the kudos folks! We think the kit turned our really well. Judging by initial orders, we are on to something!!

The railings represented a challenge to make it easy for a modeler to build as part of the kit without having to glue together a bunch of sticks. With drawing this model up in 3D cad and having everything precicely fit,  The railing was cut flat and the resin board curved beautifuly to fit the curve in the front and the arch of the decks. The top railings have doublers on them to give them some depth.

Cheers!
Darryl

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

http://www.interactionhobbies.com
http://www.facebook.com/railandtie

Max Corey

Very nice.  Glad to see another sternwheeler.   Steamboats go right along with early railroads right up to present.

Max in MI
A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

lenelg

An absolute beauty - cannot believe this is HO scale!

Only one thing has me confused: Is this a full hull model of an extremely flat bottomed boat, or is it a waterline model?  Looks like a waterline model, but the whole sternwheel is visible.. Or is is an "inbetween" - designed to be sunk into clear silicone caulking or resin water?

/Lennart Elg

5thwheel

Quote from: lenelg on September 27, 2013, 03:14:42 AM
An absolute beauty - cannot believe this is HO scale!

Only one thing has me confused: Is this a full hull model of an extremely flat bottomed boat, or is it a waterline model?  Looks like a waterline model, but the whole sternwheel is visible.. Or is is an "inbetween" - designed to be sunk into clear silicone caulking or resin water?

/Lennart Elg

It is not my intension  to speak for Darryl or hijack this thread but to add in a little information on these smaller paddle wheelers.  The City of Eugene Sternwheeler was built and launched in 1889 here in Eugene, Oregon where I live. I had planned on building a larger steam model of it. Having done a lot of research on the smaller paddle wheelers I found most are very shallow drafted boats, some claiming to float in four inches of water.  It is very interesting how these boats worked over sand bars etc.

Very nice model Darryl.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Rail and Tie

Hi Lennert, as Bill mentions, these boats have a shallow draft and most were basically flat bottomed.

For the CR LAMB, the Hull is waterline and in this case the Paddle Wheel is fully round so that I can route out the display water and have the wheel turn. It will be animated with a geared motor from below the water on a foam wheel turning the paddlewheel.  I designed the kit to be done this way alternately one can cut the bottom flush with the waterline during construction.

Interesting fact of most Paddlewheels is that the wheel only dips into the water about a paddlewidth. Anymore than that and it creates drag. Successful ship designers spent a lot of time figuring out the curve of the water flow to insure the right amount of paddle for the design and speed was worked out.
Cheers!
Darryl

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

http://www.interactionhobbies.com
http://www.facebook.com/railandtie