• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Package and cut backs

Started by Barney, March 02, 2023, 09:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Why when we are all told to cut back on on packaging do the delivery companies do this - a length of Acrylic Rod 12in X 22mm orderd on line does it really need all this packaging - The rod was inside a Bubble bag with a plastic invoice pocket on it from the suppliers  - it does look like the delivery company "EVERI" has re packaged it with another plastic pocket with yet another invoice note on the box !! have they a "brain" or what
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Lawrence@NZFinescale

In a previous life I went to a presentation by some guy from the UK packaging council (or some similarly named organisation) where the central theme was that packaging saved waste by ensuring goods were undamaged.  A bit self serving, but somewhat valid in some circumstances.

The actual 'cost' of things in terms of impact is an interesting calculation - so-called life cycle analysis.  Hardly an exact science as it depends on how values are assigned and always relies on assumptions.  But very often the least damaging behaviour is not the one we assume it to be at first glance.

Examples would be plastic v glass milk bottles.  Plastic actually has quite a bit less impact as the energy to wash bottles, their relatively low utilisation cycle and the impact of the detergents outweighs the more obvious cost of plastic.  However that likely assumes the plastic will end up in a deep landfill rather than in the ocean.

Likewise electric cars seem good, and maybe are if you have renewable energy, but if you're burning coal somewhere to generate power, then possibly not.  Not to mention the issues with the materials for battery chemistry.

In many cases this analysis is used to determine the best of a bad bunch, where the best idea would be to avoid the behaviour altogether (eg use a bike instead of the car). 

I see the packaging has those little feel good recycling symbols, but you can be sure it won't be recycled.

So you saved a bunch of energy by not going to the store to collect the goods.  Presumably a delivery van is more efficient. Certainly the packaging ensured the rod was undamaged so the packaging did its job. On the face of it (and probably in fact) the packaging is very wasteful (and there are certainly more friendly packaging options around).  One assumes that there is some benefit to the delivery company, though it is hard to see what.

Good on you for calling out this madness.  If everyone complained you might see some changed behaviours.

(Gets off soapbox and wanders off into the wilderness...)
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

Without going into detail, it seems the materials we used and how we packaged and recycled many things in the 1950s were much more effective than what we do today. But, after all, if it's good for big corporations it must be good for the planet, right? -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Before my time, but I assume you are referring to 'the good old days'?
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

WP Rayner

We are continually astounded by the sheer wastefulness of packaging in our "modern" world. We rely on services such as Amazon to purchase household items as well as more esoteric items for the workshop, sometimes by choice but most often by necessity. Some household items can be found for far less cost on Amazon than at local stores, always an incentive. Sources for items that I might need for the model bench or clock work are few and far between in Canada and absolutely nonexistent in our rural area or anywhere within a day's drive. So we regulary have Amazon packages dropped at the door. What I don't understand, is why, when we place an order with Amazon, they will often arrive in the same delivery, but in separate boxes, rather than simply all in one box. It makes sense if one item is so large it requires its own shipping box, but for household items such as detergent, over-the-counter meds, food products, and so on, it is pure wastefulness on all levels. At the grocery store, we often see items, wrapped in plastic, then placed inside another plastic or cardboard package. Why? There is no logic to it whatsoever. Common sense is an unknown concept when it comes to packaging, and much else.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

WP Rayner

Quote from: Lawrence@NZFinescale on March 02, 2023, 12:52:00 PMBefore my time, but I assume you are referring to 'the good old days'?

Ah yes... "the good old days." I think we need to agree that the good old days concept is well past its best before date, except of course, for the music. Our music was and still is, much better!  ;)
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: WP Rayner on March 02, 2023, 01:06:29 PMWhat I don't understand, is why, when we place an order with Amazon, they will often arrive in the same delivery, but in separate boxes, rather than simply all in one box.

In those cases it's almost always because the items came from two different places. Even though they're both ordered on Amazon, the items may be in widely-separated warehouses, or even come from separate sellers.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 02, 2023, 10:45:39 PMIn those cases it's almost always because the items came from two different places. Even though they're both ordered on Amazon, the items may be in widely-separated warehouses, or even come from separate sellers.

Yes, I'm sure you're right Ray. I make the mistake of assuming everything comes from the same gigantic warehouse facility near Toronto but know that is not always the case.
Paul

Bernd

Ray is right. Some items come from different suppliers. I think Amazon is more of a "middle-man" operation than ware housing all those items. Can you imagine how large of a warehouse would be needed if they ship all from one warehouse?

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Lawton Maner

Remember that Amazon items are packed by automatons controlled by Jeff Bozo who cares more about how many boxes (think how much money in the front door) go out the back door each hour then the impact of their excessive packaging on the planet.