• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Embeded Rusty Rebar Experiment

Started by MrBrownstone, August 28, 2009, 08:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBrownstone

Hey Guy's

Been experimenting with Rebar embeded (exposed in concrete wall) 1:87 scale
coloring is not what I  am looking for just experimental

Let me know what you guys think...

If it looks good I will work on a better coloring and such

Rebar (bread ties stripped and filed and pre-rusted then embeded in fresh plaster pour)

Mike

MrBrownstone

hmmm what the...

It's okay to tell me the bad things about it too... I promise I will not hold anyone personaly accountable for my experiments gone bad...

tell it how you see it.... I'll respect the honesty
is it a good idea? or does someone know of another or better way to embed rusty rebar?

dont be shy... share your view or suguestions even... I am not easly offended  ;D

it might be wrong it might not... but I won't know until someone tells me..  :P
the actual product will look like the first image (no rebar exposed until the modeler chips into the piece...the rebar will be layed throughout the entire piece "inside the casting" trick was getting the rust color from not bleeding out to the surface)

Mike

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I'm hardly an expert on rebar but it looks fine; pretty convincing. -- Russ

jacq01

Mike,

this offers some nice opportunities. Coloring looks good, try to prevent to much rust stain on the concrete and show it as water flows.

To make it more realistic, try to find out what the standard reinforcement sizes are and what way they are positoned in the concrete
   wall/floor/sheet.
  Sheet castings with the reinforcement imbedded is for the larger scales a very good idea and also usable in the militairy diorama's.
  You can built up a modular series with column's, girders, beams, etc  to create prefab concrete buildings like in 1:1

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

MrBrownstone

Hey Guy's,

Thanks for the feedback...

well I am happy that it is not too far off.

jacq,
       Thanks for your view....
       I have done some research on the rebar sizes and their use in construction application.
       I am now going to scale it up to 1:48 and see what it looks like.
      also I am almost done with the 1:48 strecher bond pieces 2 different sizes @ 3"x4"x8" with 3/8 joint fill lines...
      still working on the flemish bond piece (heh... it (flemish bond) is much more of a chalenge than the strecher bond is/was.)

Mike

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Mike,
Your spalled concrete with rebar looks good. If I may ask what is the purpose of the exposed, rusted rebar? 
Rick Marty

MrBrownstone

hey Rick,

it is not for anything I am doing in particular...  ;)  (actually it was a request for a old broken breakwater rebar reinforced concrete wall with exposed rusting rebar for a water front project) so I was just trying out a few different methods and since this was fairly easy to do, and thinking I could make a commercial version of it ( I had/have not seen anything like it commercialy available) so I said...  :-\  what the heck... here it is.. will be in both scales 1:87 and 1:48 as well as 2 different types of wall, one smooth faced (modern construction style) and one plank formed (older construction style)

the painting and extruding are in the modelers hands...  ::)  I am not trying to make something that anyone can just add to their scene... it still has to be taylored to fit the modelers own needs (modeling skills still required) there are many ideas that come to my mind for using something like this... so maybe other modelers have some simular thoughts.

glad you like it Rick..

Mike

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Mike,
I was just asking to get a sense for what you were representing, like a shell hole in a wall or a pot hole in a ground slab etc. 

In your example above it would seem that if a breakwater wall had been in place long enough for holes to have been battered through it the form marks would definitely be strip boards rather than plywood sheet.

The rebar size/pattern as you probably know would vary from application to application.  In your breakwater wall example it would probably need to be pretty thick requireing more than one mat or layer of rebar.  cross mat patterns could probably be anything from 4 X 4 to 16 X 16 centers
depending on bar diameter.

Non of this is necessarily gospel as I am not an iron worker but have knocked around the construction trades for more than 40 years.

Later
Rick Marty

MrBrownstone

Hey Rick,

Yeah I know that this experiment does not reflect the request.

The person either lost intrest or decided to do something else...
just to satisfy my own curious thoughts... I would just make a hole in a piece and see how it would look painted up.
Really was just recalling from memory of seeing rusted rebar in a broken wall once.

since then... because it seems to work fairly well... I have done much more research for the final products

Mike