• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

a small detail for the C&V RR

Started by Bill Gill, May 20, 2024, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Modeling opportunties continue to be scarce. Here's a new small detail from today. It's unnoteworthy other than it shows one of the things I enjoy most about modelmaking: turning leftover stuff I already have into other things needed for the layout, simple though they may be.

The depot for my C&VRR is the last building needed. It will sit close to the front of the layout and some interior will be seen through the windows.

All the small depot interiors I found online had pot belly coal stoves for heat, but any stoves took up too much space no matter where I tried placing them. Instead I decided to add 1950s narrow steam radiators against the walls between the windows in the waiting room and the office. So I rummaged around through my odds and ends looking for anything that might work.

I started with a couple layers of lumber from the Atlas lumber stacks for its lumberyard. After cutting them up and gluing them bottom side to bottom side, I slightly rounded the top edge (still need to round the bottom edge). Viewed on end, the separated "boards" look kind of like the cast iron paired vertical sections that join together to make a radiator. When cleaned up a bit and painted silver they ought to pass for radiators when glimpsed through the windows. A little wire plumbing will mount them to the depot floor.

The Atlas lumber layer on the left has boards slightly wider than the layers I used, but you get the idea.
radiators.jpeg

finescalerr

Atlas' "lumber" never resembled wood but it now clearly looks like a radiator. Satisfactory. -- Russ