• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Chipped Paint (another experiment)

Started by marc_reusser, March 07, 2009, 02:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

This was an experiment in adapting the "Hairspray Chipping" technique, to better suit my needs, and make it a bit easier to work with.

I am really anal and reticent to build up too may thick coats/layers, as I feel one starts to lose detail and finesse...especially in the smaller scales. I also don't particularly care for clear coats, as I feel one looses some of the depth and diversity in finishes. For this experiment, I wanted to see if I could eliminate some of these issues/steps. I also wanted to see if there was a way to make the removal process slightly easier (as previously stated, I have had some issues with it)

I used the following steps:

Primer Coat: Mr. Surfacer 1000
Base coat/color: Tamia XF-64 Thinned with X-20A (airbrush applied)
Resist layer: I mixed a 50/50 mixture of Gum arabic, and "Tresseme" hairspray. Upon pouring the two together there seemed to be some curdling, but after stirring well, the two seemed to blend/mix fine. This mixture was then thinned approx 50% with distilled water, and applied in a normal coat with the airbrush. (airbrush application will also makes it easier to get into tight small places if one needed to, and apply a smoother more even coat)

Once the resist layer was dry (it does dry with a satin finish) the top color coat was applied.

Color Coat: Tamiya XF-?  thinned with X-20A, this was applied in two coats to achieve full coverage.

Removal:  I tried something a bit different here...on one half it was initially to see how the resist would work when confronted with an air eraser (shooting baking soda), I wanted to see if the paint would easily flake off. On the other side I used the air eraser to "pit" the entire paint surface...in some areas where I knew I wanted the paint to eventually come off,. I pitted enough to very lightly/barely  show some of the Red brown underneath (about as much as if you had done a lighter/thinner color coat)...this was then followed up by simply wetting the area with a brush, waiting about 20 seconds, and then lightly working the surface, intermittently re wetting/dipping the brush in water.....the color layer came off easily..no hard scrubbing...when satisfied with an area, I just dabbed it with a lint free cotton towel, to pick up any residual moisture.

I wasn't trying to get a specific look/finish (Ie winter whitewash)..I really just wanted to see if I could make removal easier for me, and employ less layers in the process.

This side was removed with a short stiff 0/10 brush (this is the side that received more pitting from the air eraser)

This side was removed with a regular 1/4 wide flat brush (this is the side that received light pitting)

The Gum Arabic mixed into the hairspray does seem to make the paint easier to remove....long term issues if any will need to be seen.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MrBrownstone

Hello Marc,

One thing I can say is they both look great. (I used to be in the autobody biz)

I have seen alot of rusty cars in my past days.

The 0/10 side is very very close to what I have seen on real cars.

Mike