• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Simulated Plastering over brick

Started by MrBrownstone, June 03, 2009, 09:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBrownstone

Hello Fellow Modelers,

I have used this technique...thought I would share this with the masses.

using cigarette paper.

by wetting the paper (I use a diluted white glue to make it stick) it gives you enough transparency to still see some of the brick texture under the thin coat of plaster. Then by adding layer upon layer you can achieve the desired thickness/transparency.

Mike

marc_reusser

Very interesting idea. Do you happen to have a photo with a paintd up/finished piece.  Are you uisng a matte edhium or souch to soak/wet the paper with to get a harder/stiffer surface & make it bond?  have you tried making a "chipped" plaster wall using this approach?

I knew I should have kept all those rolling papers from my mis-spent youth. :-\ ;) ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MrBrownstone

Hello Fellow modelers,

I have another technique that I have used as well.

using liquid paper (fast dry type)(it builds up better)

someone told me it seems to chip OK too

Mike

MrBrownstone

Hi Marc,

I don't have a finished one anymore someone purchased it at a show.

I will see if I can do a small wall up today..

and to your questions, yes: on the matte medium  use and no: on the chipped wall test

Mike

MrBrownstone

Marc

I did a small wall for you to see how it looks.

there are 6 photos

will need to post again

Mike

MrBrownstone

Marc

here are the other 3 photos

as you can see it dries nicely with lots of white but also a touch of transparency along the edegs.

Mike

MrBrownstone

Marc,

Here are 2 more.

came up with something in the middle?   ???

Mike

MrBrownstone

It look's kinda cool... it has Potencial.  ???

One use may be for filling/plastering those inside corners?

opinion's anyone?

Mike

jacq01

Hi Mike,

it will be difficult to hide / conseal the paper texture. I have tried this methode but was not able to achieve the characteristic surface texture of the plaster I was looking for.

Here a link to a methode I used http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=159.0

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

MrBrownstone

Hello Jacq,

Well that's what I was trying to find out if anyone else has tried this techniuqe.

and what was it best applied too.

thank's for the link... Very useful...  ;D

Mike