• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

ON3 Shay by Yoshi Ueda

Started by marc_reusser, June 08, 2009, 07:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

While looking through my files for some reference materials for another thread here, I came across these photos of an On3 Shay built by fellow Terrapin member from Japan, Yoshi Ueda. Thought I would share them for anyone interested.

At the time Yoshi wrote:

"This shay started from PSC 16ton plastic shay kit. I replaced the original cab and water bunker into PSC brass parts which I  purchased from Wiseman. Of course I have also added many small parts.  And finally I installed DCC-sound (ESU Loksound micro). The speaker is in the water bunker and the decoder is in vertical boiler. "

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Beautiful.... it makes me jealous.  Is the PSC shay still available?  Any experience with a comparisson with a On30 shay??

If you have more of this sort of  first rate material,  you are welcome.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Not sure if PSC is still making the kit, but they are still around. I know that the local hobby shop had a kit on consignment about 6 months back, and one of the guys in the terrapin group was wanting to sell his kit a while back.

How it compares to the B-mann kit I can't say....never seen them side by side......but my inclination would be to say the B-Mann runs far better...while the PSC has more, and better, and finer, detailing.

...and Yoshi's model is definitely better than both.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

I have 2 B-mann shay's which are very good runners.  One has been converted 2-3 years ago to an open cab version and they other one I like to change the cab so it partly overhangs the cylinders as in Yoshi's shay. I don't want to make it a  PinoGrande no 2.  Also make it a steel cab.

I am tempted to go for On3 but am put back a it because of the conversion of all the stuff I have already.  Most is On30
and of my starting period in O.  A well,  another decision to have sleepless nights about. :-\ :-\   those are the most creative though ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

PSC's idea was to make the plastic and brass Shay kits available at all times. But that's more theory than practice because many items often are out of stock. Both PSC's and Bachmann's models are very close copies of the Rumsey Lumber Company Shay that, if I recall correctly, ended up on the Mich-Cal. Each company took liberties with the superstructure but the basic trucks, frame, and engine assemblies are similar in size and appearance.

In theory the PSC Shay should run better because it has a Faulhaber motor, assuming the mechanical parts all fit properly. But my Bachmann Shay performs as well as an On3 brass Shay (with a Faulhaber motor) Wiseman imported a few years ago. Impressive.

Russ