• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Paint Suggestions!

Started by Sean, February 08, 2009, 04:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

After Cale posted these photo's.
http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=10490
I was wondering what paint to use on my LGB Quick disconects to get the wood to look like that?
Thanks
Sean

finescalerr

You will never get anything from LGB to look "proper" because the company produces caricatures. Why not start with wood and build a real model? -- Russ

Sean

Comon now Uncle Russ!!
We have to start some were!! :o
Before pics!!

lab-dad

I'd take them apart.
Blast them with baking soda.
Then use Vallejo acrylics to get the color(s) you want.

But in such a large scale wouldn't it be fun to scratch build them or build a Sierra Valley kit?
-Marty

michael mott

Frankly I think the trucks look better than the track, now some nice spiked track on wooden ties, would make those trucks look even better.

regards michael

LLOYD

Hello,
this LGB disconnecting  trucks are better with some détail parts!
Added brake system, brake whell, and cover box, all of this parts are from Jeff Saxton since a long time!
I changed the LGB wheels for metal Gary Raymond wheels set!
For the paint, it's just aibrushed with mixte of Humbrol paint, and light shadows with alcohol and black ink!
For a fine model the real wood look better, and more easy to weathering!
Sincerely!
Lloyd

marklayton

That's an amazing transformation, Lloyd!

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

marc_reusser

Lloyd,
Those look real nice when all painted up...and the replaced parts do make a big difference.

Sean,

I would prety much follow Marty's route on these, with a few added comments:

1.) Make sure you use an airbrush to do all the painting.
2.) If you don't have an air eraser to blast the surface with baking soda, you can use a fiberglass pencil (such as thode from Micro-Mark) to remove the sheen.
3.) Primer before painting, with something like the Tamiya or even better, Mr Surfacer, before painting.
4.) Consider doing some "Pre-Shading" with black on the undersides of parts, in the corners and natural shadow areas.
5.) Maybe paint the wood parts with a greyish-brown wood color first, in case you want to do some wear/chipping on the final color.
6.) Apply the final color in a couple of light coats, so that you can work with the pre-shading.....and then maybe do a final "fading" coat where top surfaces, and exposed to weather/sun surface recieve in areas a light coat of the color that has been "lightened" (adding white/tan/or grey...you will have to see) by 10-20%.
7.) When dry, come in and add chipping, rust, dust/dirt and grease....and maybe some small bits of forest/bark/leaf detritus in the bunk grooves and in the nooks and crannies.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Sean

Wow Marc  :o
I think I'll paint the wood parts with a brush.
I'm not that picky.
I do agree that Loyd's look great !!
I'll brobably drop or bang them around (Tim Allen)  ;)
I wouldn't feel to bad then. :-\ :'( :-X :-[

John McGuyer

If I might offer a suggestion, go through the various methods you will find on this forum. There are methods of airbrushing, of brush painting, of layering and chipping with tape. There is even a brush method of over painting with oils that works so well, I tried it on my plastic gondola and a friend saw it and thought it was real wood. Once you have found a method you like for painting on your plastic cars, then do what I'm doing in my 'Tale of two gondolas' and buy some wood and copy your plastic models in real wood. By doing something of this nature, you will develop skills in several different techniques, plus have some really cool models.

John

RoughboyModelworks

Excellent advice John and Marc... I couldn't agree more.

Paul

marc_reusser

Mike,

Here is a link to a small SBS for the two methods of upliading images.

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0

If you are uploading directly from your PC (method #2) the max size is 200kb.....if linking from a site, there are no limits....other than common sense ;) ;D.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MrBrownstone

Thanks Marc,

but as you can see I created a project page.

just getting to to water/detailing/finishing phase

besides the water phase (still unsure on how I am going to do the water.)

I am open for sugestions/ideas.