• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Chipping With Air Eraser????

Started by marc_reusser, February 03, 2009, 03:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

I do believe you're going to love this tool John. It can do a super job cleaning up soldered parts and assemblies. It does have a very small cutting area though so it's not very practical for cleaning up large parts or areas. As far as media, there are 3 different I use for different applications. In all cases, your air supply has to be absolutely dry for the eraser to work, especially with the finer compounds. I generally run 3 moisture traps in line whenever I use the eraser.

For fast-cutting work and "chipping" I use the Paasche AEX compound (Aluminum Oxide). I usually just shoot it into a large bucket so I can recover the majority of the media. I've had the same 6 oz. jar for over 10 years now, so that just shows you how much of a cheap-skate I am :D

For cleaning up brass parts and assemblies I use regular old Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. It has enough grit to clean and brighten brass parts without peaning any edges. Your air has to be absolutely dry though since it absorbs moisture. The slightest moisture and it will clump in the eraser. I don't bother to try and recover the baking soda (I'm not that cheap ;)). I just shoot the baking soda straight into my city trash can so there's no messy cleanup and I have the added benefit of a fresh-smelling garbage can  :D :D

The third product I use is Rottenstone (It's sometimes, I think erroneously, called tripoli.) It's a fine powder (finer than pumice) made of powdered limestone and silica or diatomaceous earth. Mixed with oil or water, it's used as a final rubbing compound in fine finishing of varnished or painted surfaces. Properly used it can make varnish look like glass. Used in the air eraser it will put a very fine buffed-like finish on brass and paint. Once again your air supply has to be absolutely dry. I generally don't bother trying to recover it, it's too fine. It usually costs between $7-$8/lb and is available at woodworking or finishing specialty shops or online. I also use it as a weathering powder. Being medium gray in color (looks basically like dust) it's great for representing dust buildup on horizontal surfaces. There are several brands available. I have both Rainbow and Bondex which both work perfectly well.

Have fun with it John. I expect you'll find it a useful addition to your shop and will probably come up with some other applications for us.

Paul

John McGuyer

Thank you muchly Paul. From Harbor Freight the things they had that sounded good for us was fine walnut shells and spark plug cleaner. I'll have my housekeeper pick me up some baking soda at the market. I think I'll also contact my old boss at North-South Machinery and see if I can get some garnet from him. N/S is a major player in water jets and those are actually abrasive cutters, they do not cut with water. Let me clarify this; they have a very high speed water jet (faster than the speed of sound) that they introduce a fine grit (usually garnet) that does the actual cutting. Since I'm every bit the cheapskate you claim to be, the chance of free abrasive sounds way too tempting.

I also contacted Mac McCalla (Mr. Airbrush) and he has never used, or even heard of one of these things, so I'm going to get his wrinkled old ass over here and get him playing with it. I'll bet he comes up with some great uses.

Uncle Russ, are you listening? This might be a very good 'how to' for your magazines.

John

RoughboyModelworks

That's cool John. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the tool and what uses you come up with for it. I think you'll find it a lot of fun.

Paul

John McGuyer

I've now got the grit that comes with the brush (whatever it is), spark plug cleaner, 180 and 220 grit garnet (from a waterjet) and walnut shells. I've been using the 220 garnet at about 45 to 60 lbs air pressure to clean my soldered brass fabricated parts and it is doing quite well. Gets in there and cleans out the flux and leaves a satin surface that is very good for paint. Just finished the paint on the wood gondola and will play with it next week. Also want to see what it does to the plastic one.

I think I'm going to like this tool.

John

RoughboyModelworks

I'm betting you'll find it to be very useful John.

Paul

mobilgas

ill be going to harbor freight tommorow and see if i can get a air eraser!!  I learn something new every-time i log in 8)  lots of info on this fourm.        Craig     Mt. Clemens. Mich