• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Chama Coal Tipple

Started by Brent, October 18, 2009, 01:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

I do not know how close to being usable the tipple is.  Last year the rotted west bottom sill was replaced and the structure jacked to vertical -- it was leaning to the west and was unstable.  This year the siding on the hoist house was replaced and the roofs repapered.

Ray Dunakin

Sounds like it really could use a major overhaul. Not surprising on a wooden structure that old.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Brent

I just received a publication from the Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad that said the Chama coal tipple had more work done on it last summer. The structure was leveled and plumbed, lots of siding replaced, the coal dump cleaned out, the bucket wells drained, and the buckets run up and down using the electric motor that has been there for years. That sounds like progress to me! Perhaps it will operate again someday -- I would like to see that!

JohnP

Brent, I like the model photos. The sunny one looks great. The model has a well-balanced appearance, with enough detail and finishing to be a centerpiece on a layout. The timbers look properly proportioned, the roof reasonable, the coal delivery structure is realistically sized, etc. From what I see in the forum many modelers here would have worked over each piece of wood before assembly- distress, finish, weathering. But I bet there was a great pleasure in assembling the complex frame from new wood as seen in the photos. Why not?

Is this going on a layout?

John
John Palecki

Brent

A layout is the goal. After a career in the military, with many relocations, I now have a home with an unfinished basment. (I do not plan to move again.) The layout will go in the basement. There is a space about 35 feet long in which to replicate a compressed version of the Chama yard and facilities -- not long enough but I can capture the essence. I also plan to model the historic (1938) Cumbres Pass facilities, including the wye with its snowshed. See the attached Otto Perry photos from the Dernver Public Library.