• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Corliss project

Started by lab-dad, May 18, 2009, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

It is also about the most complicated valve system you could choose to model. Which makes this even more impressive.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

michael mott

QuoteGood tip Jacq. Another method is to use graphite as a barrier. You can actually do this with a soft pencil or NeoLube, just draw or brush a line at the outer perimeter of where you want the solder to flow. It won't flow past the graphite unless, you're using way too much solder.

Paul any chance of a photograph of your description?

Michael

RoughboyModelworks

Michael:

I have a photo of a loco (1:48 Lima Shay #122 on the "About" page on my blog) assembled using this method for soldering fittings to the boiler, cab walls and so forth, but the loco is painted so, that's not going to help much or at all for that matter. Looks like I should do a SBS on this technique. I've got a machining job in the shop right now for one of the members here. Once that's out of the way, I'll take some photos showing how to do this.

Paul

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on January 05, 2010, 11:40:36 AM
Havard,
The large disc (wrist plate) is drilled and tapped, the bolts come through to the front and then I will attach the acorn nuts.
These are 1mm, scale hardware dot com has functional "bolts" down to .5mmhttp://www.scalehardware.com/
They are only 10 miles from me but I still just mail order.

O yeah, I have already ordered some packages of bolts and nuts from SH. Have you any idea how he produces those little rascals?
Prior to discovering SH, I had only used cosmetic bolts in these small sizes, but it is extremly satisfying to bolt things together in a protypical way!

Jaq: Thanks for the soldering tip!

Regards, HÃ¥vard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

lab-dad

I just saw SH has a new line of "fake" fasteners; allen, slotted and phillips.
I need to go visit him and bring the Corliss to show him, may be he will show me around and I can take some pics of the manufacturing process?  ;D
-Mj

michael mott

QuoteLooks like I should do a SBS on this technique. I've got a machining job in the shop right now for one of the members here. Once that's out of the way, I'll take some photos showing how to do this.

Thanks Paul

lab-dad

WOW
I just looked at the start date of this, * months.
Alot has changed since then....
Anyway she's all done, the machining anyway, just need some 6mm brass balls for the governor.
-Marty

Wonder how long it will take to color it?! ??? ::)

marc_reusser

Wow  :o, That's just a beautiful model...visually and technically. Congratulations!
I think you have found your niche........"Scratch-built Brass Models".

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Not bad overall. You are beginning to get the hang of basic model construction. -- ssuR

Philip Smith

yep . Give me a small pinch of your skillz.

awesome build!

Philip

RoughboyModelworks

Marty:

It looks fantastic... excellent job. It probably says somewhere in the thread (ut I'm too lazy to go back and search for it), but did you cast the wheel core yourself or did that start out as part of something else?

The plaster bases look much better than your initial experiment. Really looking forward to seeing how you colour this....

Paul

lab-dad

Thanks guys,
Marc, F*$K that!  >:( I am going back to styrene and wood-much faster to build! ;)

Paul, The wheel center is the only store bought part  :( It is for a live steamer, found it on that auction site.

Working on taking a movie of it in action.
-Marty

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Wow that is just beautiful.  I wouldn't even have known where to start on something like that.  You neeed "Brass Balls" for what?  I thought you had them when decided to do this project!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! Well done!

"Brass balls" are lot less impressive when they only measure 6mm.   ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World