• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Damn Cranky's Gunk Industry Sampler

Started by Damn Cranky, January 22, 2010, 08:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damn Cranky

Hello, folks, since I'm new here, I thought what better way to introduce myself then to simply share some of my work.  I don't have elaborate descriptions for everything I've built since I returned to the hobby 10 years ago, but I can tell you that I've had a blast making friendships thanks to this great hobby.

Before I share some of the work, I'd like to introduce myself to those of you who don't know me.  I am a professor of Creative Writing at Florida State University where I've been teaching for nearly two decades now.  I started building cars and planes when I was a teenager and then when I went off to college I gave it all up.  Ten years ago I started again, except this time I was really encouraged by folks like Ken Hamilton and Pat Covert.  Not only are they wonderful writers and talented builders, but I consider them mentors and good friends.  Anyway, I love building cars for the most part, in particular clunkers, daily drivers, and lots and lots of rat rods . . . I simply love rust!

Here are some samples of old and recent work.  I hope you enjoy.

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS

ROADSIDE ATTRACTION:

Crazy About Rust!

Damn Cranky

Here are a few others in no particular order . . . again, thank you.

Crazy About Rust!

Damn Cranky

Aw shucks, thanks Russ et al . . . it's great to be here.

I work mostly in 1/24th scale, and I have Ken Hamilton to blame for that.  When I first got back into the hobby, I bought his book HOW TO BUILD CREATIVE DIORAMAS FOR YOUR SCALE AUTO MODELS, which in my opinion is the best book on the subject.  That got me thinking that building models and then building an environment for them was the way to go.

I've also dabbled in HO scale, like this:

and this:

I think HO is an extremely fun scale to work in . . . and there's so much material in the aftermarket.
Crazy About Rust!