• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Painting & Weathering Techniques by Michael Rinaldi

Started by marc_reusser, February 11, 2010, 02:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Anyone who has picked up an armor mdeling mag, or perused the MIG or Missing-Lynks forums will know who Michael Rinaldi is....undisputably one of the best model painters out there today.

Michael has a web album where you can see a large number of his models (the build steps in these, contain techniques and info as well):

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/home?nt=r

...there is also a section labled Techniques...which I recommend for all that want more info on using/doing, painting, washes, fading, filters, and pigments:

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={F9F3E062-FE3B-4434-9898-193F749A47C4}

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

Very nice work. In addition to the weathering, I really liked his rendition of canvas tarpulins.  Not the usual kleenex soaked in Elmers  ::)   Is there a publication or website where he has a step by step explanation to go with the pictures?  Thanks for posting it.  I'm always telling the RR guys to look at the Armor guys for weathering techniques.  But the RR guys mostly just go back to their 1950s era alcohol and india ink.   :-\ 

Dave

marc_reusser

Dave,

As far as I know that is his only website, however, Michael regularly posts his builds (SBS) on the MIG Forum http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/ and on the Missing-Lynx forum http://www.missing-lynx.com/....personally I much prefer the MIG forum...Missing-Lynx is set up in a really screwy and antiquated forum format....and I think there is often more hot-air and atta-boys there than quality modeling.

Michaels work is also regulary published in several armor mags...I believe...but not sure the Tamiya Modeling mag., Military Modeling International, probably also AFV modeler and Xtreme Modeling....there are surely others as well.

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

As much as I would like to be the ultimate curmudgeon, I must point out that the typical model railroad guy's focus is running trains, however brainless that may seem. So models are merely props and even rather crude ones are okay as long as they fill the space.

On this forum, we are modelers. Layouts are fine but, in many cases, are merely big dioramas for showing off our models. It is therefore natural that we would find inspiration from such static modelers as armor guys.

I really don't expect much from the "typical" model railroader. I am just disappointed that more of them don't want to become railroad modelers. That's where the real challenge is, after all.

Russ

Krusty

Rinaldi has published a superb series of in-depth weathering how-to articles in the last few issues of Military Modelling in Review mag. They're some of the best painting articles I've seen in print and well worth tracking down. Not only is the guy very good at what he does, he's also great at actually explaining the finer points of what he's doing.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

danpickard

Thanks for the link Marc.
I have probably looked over a few of Michaels models in the past, but since not being a keen military follower, haven't noted who actually did what.  His photo site has some great comments to accompany the pics, so I'll definately be back to spend a bit more time there having a few lessons.

Cheers,
Dan

lab-dad

Dan I think he does his tarps from "Miliput" rolled very thin.

-Marty

jacq01

When in the section Techniques, go with the pointer/mouse over a photo and a text block with an expanation appears.   
  Very, very wel done

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

DaKra

I guess I'll go lurk over at the MIG forum, wow my workday just got shorter and less productive thanks a lot Marc. ;D 

@Russ, you're right.  We aren't really model railroaders,  I don't even have a layout or any trains.  So what do we call ourselves?  Civilian modelers?  Dioramists?   ???

Dave

finescalerr

marc_reusser

M-Works