• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

metalsmith.co.uk - RIVET EMBOSSING TOOL?

Started by lab-dad, March 22, 2010, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/rivet-embossing-tool.htm

Any one have experience with this tool?
Looks similar to the NWSL tool but a little more affordable.
The major difference between the two looks like the spacing between the rivets.
The NWSL has the dial? not rally familiar with this but it seems more accurate? (Please advise if you know)
The metalsmith one relies on a "feel" to set the next rivet ( I had them send the assembly & operating instructions)
Obviously I am in the market to purchase a rivet embossing tool.
I keep wondering if I can make my Sherline mill into a rivet embosser?
Thanks!
-Marty

Geoff Ringle

Micromark sells one:
http://www.micromark.com/EMBOSS-IT-MODEL-RIVET-SIMULATOR,9314.html

I have not used one, but I see it mentioned regularly on some of the large scale RR forums.  It seems to get good reviews. Geoff

finescalerr

Marty, do you have a drill press? It will do the job. -- Russ

DaKra

I have the NWSL rivet embosser.  I don't use it much, but it works as advertised. The punch lines up with a die, and it requires a little finesse to use it.   Different sized fittings can be used for different sized rivets.  The advancing wheel feature is good to have.   The rivet spacing is exact and adjustable.

I don't think I would want to use a Sherline mill as a rivet embosser because using the wheel you don't get a good feel for the amount of pressure you are applying to the material.  

Dave

Mr Potato Head

I found this on the internet a few years ago and It's been on my wish list ever since! It's the coolest I have seen and I know you could make it, so make two and I'll pay for mine : - )
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

narrowgauger

Hi Team Members

for those who possess a milling machine and want to use it for accurate rivetting contact me off line and I will send you a set of plans for a rivetting deck that is used in combination with the milling table X-Y deck.

this accessory will provide you with unlimited incremental advancement of rivet centres as well as precise rivet depth control on any material, including styrene, shim steel and brass up to 1.2mm thickness.

I will endeavour to publish some photographs on the site, but would prefer to send the detailed construction drawings direct since it is my intention to launch this accessory commercially in the near future.

may be contacted at bernards@greenwaybanks.com.au

have fun

Bernard

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

davej

The best tool is available from George Watts. However, to save a few quid I bought a Metal Smith tool, unfotunately there are a number of things I don't like about it and so bought the GW tool. Wish I had just bought the GW tool in the first place now. It is brilliant

The main issue with the MS tool is that the frame is too flexible. Also, the tool/anvil doesn't line-up properly, the anvil diameter is too big to produce closely spaced rivets (I ground off part of it to reduce the size), and the anvil was too tight in the hole and impossible to get out. Apart from that it is great.

Unfortunately George watts is a very traditional engineer close to retirement. He does not own a computer so access to his products are not so easy. Payment is by cash or cheque by mail.

The wheel press/quaterer he makes is also the best tool I ever bought.