• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Making Trees

Started by Brent, August 11, 2010, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

I found an old sagebrush branch and think it would make a wonderful tree in O-scale. It would be around 80 feet high. Any suggestions as to what to cover it with for leaves? Polyfiber alone doesn't look right.

Thanks,
Brent

JohnP

Silfor makes some cool material that has bits of stuff on longish threads that make it have the appearance of leaves on branches. Woodland Scenics has a pull-apart poly fiber mesh with ground foam on it that costs less. You could sprinkle on leaf material to give it more texture.

If it is a tree or two for a diorama spare no expense. For a layout, time and money need to be balanced.

Try http://www.scenicexpress.com/ for ideas.

John
John Palecki

RoughboyModelworks

Brent:

Carefully selected pieces of sage make excellent tree structures, especially when you live in an area where you can pick it up on the side of the road. I used sage in the past but got around the foliage issue by modelling a late fall scene with the trees bare of leaves. I ground up some real fall leaves and randomly scattered the bits round the ground cover underneath the trees... it was quite convincing.

Paul

finescalerr

Not too long ago somebody posted a bunch of links for laser cut and photo etched scenery materials. Some of the laser cut paper leaves might also be of use. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Hi Brent --

Regarding Russ' comment ... Nick & I posted a bunch of links for leaves etc. that might prove useful:
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=811.msg15807#msg15807

Link takes you to my post, then scroll down to Nick's post directly below that.

There's also a "Vegetation with Modeling" (aka "scenery") section on the Mig Forum:
http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/

That has some examples of Nick's fine work and some other items that might provide inspiration for "better" looking scenery.

The Silflor that John mentioned is listed as "leaf flake foliage" here:
http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1246

That's a relatively simple solution that would look much better than polyfiber or any of the WS products.  It's not in the "trees" category, so figured I'd post a link to the right sub-section in the "grass & ground cover" category -- which might be worth a review for other brands/items.

Don't forget to post your progress or results!  8)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

DaKra

Been experimenting with a model tree.   Maybe you could fluff out the branches on that sage with some pieces cut from dried Meerschaum, the stuff that Scenic Express sells as "Super Trees", then cover that with leaf material as per the various methods suggested.

I got the Scenic Express Super Trees starter kit.  I'm no fan of starter kits as they are usually padded with junk you don't need or already have.   This kit was no exception (spray bottle, vac formed trays, self clamping tweezers) but it did come with a lot of useful stuff too, and was fairly priced.    There is a generous amount of the tree material, and a bunch of different foliage products to experiment with, including Noch paper leaves which are really nice.   The "Matte Medium" in the kit is a very effective brush/spray on adhesive.

Dave   

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on August 12, 2010, 01:23:47 AM
Not too long ago somebody posted a bunch of links for laser cut and photo etched scenery materials. Some of the laser cut paper leaves might also be of use. -- Russ

So I'm just a "someone" now ? Oh well , that is one up from being a " no one" !

I , personally , wouldn't bother with individual leaves in O scale . However , companies like Noch produce leaf products that would look good in that scale . Use them in conjunction with the polyfibre .

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: shropshire lad on August 12, 2010, 10:28:41 AM

So I'm just a "someone" now ? Oh well , that is one up from being a " no one" !

Nick

Don't knock a promotion Nick, not everyone gets to these dizzy heights
Gordon

eTraxx

Just a suggestion. Read through the thread on making trees on the railroad-line forum. Some pretty good information there.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

Nick you really are a "someone". Someone who should remain standing in the corner!

On a less serious note, yes, I suppose that was your post. While I hate to admit it, the links were so good I already have referred three modelers to it. That and the information on this thread should provide outstanding information for anyone interested in modeling vegetation.

Russ

jacq01

Read through the thread on making trees on the railroad-line forum.

Jos Geurts is one of the best tree builders I know.

here another link in German with a tremendous amount of info on all sorts of trees.

Read through the thread on making trees on the railroad-line forum.

here a french speaking swiss reference  with english text. for next page click on "suivant" :

http://www.gilbert-gribi.ch/arbres%201.html   The rest of Gilbert's site has also some interesting " how to" 's

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Brent

Wow!  What great responses. I will try a couple different methods and report the results.
My thanks to all of you!
Brent