• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The LCS 102

Started by NORCALLOGGER, April 19, 2010, 08:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this post belongs in this topic or even if it belongs in this forum at all.  I am not a maritime modeler nor is this about modeling.  Having said that I feel that this craft just begs to be modeled.

The LCS # 102 (Landing Craft Support) is docked at Mare Island, once a major navel ship yard.  It is a WW II era craft and the last one of it's kind in existance.   The link to their web site is here.

http://www.lcs-102.zoomshare.com/

I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be making 16 knots in this flat bottomed sled in a rough sea.

I was visiting Mare Island a couple of months ago and discovered this floating relic that is being restored.  I knew that Dad had been in the Navy in the "Big One" so I called and asked him about it.

Not only did he know about it but had served on the sister ships to this one in the Pacific.  He had served on LCI's (Landing Craft Infantry) as well as the LCS (Landing Craft Support)  I Found out that pound for pound, LCS craft had more fire power than a battle ship. 

The upshot of this is that my Brother and I took the Old Man down to see this craft a week ago.  He is 86 and kind of crippled up but he sure didn't have any trouble making it up and down the ladders to explore every inch of the ship and explain every likeness and difference to the ones he had served on.

A few pictures follow.

NORCALLOGGER

A rew more pictures.  The last one shows a proud old Sailor remembering when!

finescalerr

Maybe someday you will model that boat and possibly the dock when you remember the day you brought your dad to see them. -- Russ

Philip Smith

Your a good man! Wish my dad was still alive. he would be 98. also a veteran of WWII. My pops mission was alot different. He was with the 728th ROB (railway operation battalion) in england.

One day you'll model that! guaranteed!! Specially after crawling all over it! 8)

Philip

marc_reusser

That is a very cool boat, and great story to go with it. Thanks for posting this.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Ditto what Marc said! 

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World