• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

On3 Railbus

Started by james_coldicott, April 27, 2010, 07:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james_coldicott

Hi All,

have toned down some of the rust as suggested and shaded out the undersides with black oil paint- thanks for your suggestions Marty. Also brushed over some of the lighter blue that I'd airbrushed over the corners and top of the hood to cover some of the rust. My camera definitely seems to accentuate the orange tones of the rust- it is far less vivid to the eye.

Made a dash and footboard, running boards done and added some fuse wire hinges. Glazed with microscope cover glass and painted the glass where the inside framing would be on the windshield. Finished the roof and run out of time before the weekend. I've learned a lot on this project- mainly that rushing to a deadline doesn't always work out! Still I think I've made an improvement over the model as I received it- it runs really well too.

I may go back and redo some elements one day but I set my deadline and, for now at least after 12 hours of work, am going to call it a day.

Thanks for all the feedback.

James

james_coldicott

Right side...

james_coldicott

Left side...

james_coldicott

last one... second image has some of the saturation removed which seems to have corrected the orangeness of some of the other shots- far more representative of the actual colours.

Any tips on camera settings to stop the orange?

James

lab-dad

Your friend would be proud!
-Marty

finescalerr

You can't modify your camera to tame the reds and yellows. That must be done after the fact in Adobe Camera Raw or Photoshop. Most camera sensors have too much sensitivity to one shade or another, especially those in less expensive cameras. That's one reason they invented software. I routinely adjust overall color saturation or individual color saturation as I prepare photos for publication.

Suggestion: Concentrate on the model. Then take the best photos you can. Leave the tweaking to drones like I.

Russ

james_coldicott

Russ,

thanks for that- I routinely use Photoshop CS3 on my mac at home getting my prints fettled and the camera is Nikon D40 SLR so not the cheapest camera in the world- just wondered if I was missing something with the camera setup and I don't have PS on this computer so used the 'tools' option in 'preview' which btw is much quicker at reducing file size for posting photo's than PS.

I'll try harder with the next model- or maybe just give myself the time to do things properly.

QuoteYour friend would be proud!
-Marty

Marty...

thanks! I think he would have approved. Attached is a portrait of John Hughes that I painted for his widow- a good man and a great modeller.

James

Ray Dunakin

The model is looking good. Nice portrait, too!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

chester

James,
The railbus is looking very nice. I'm working on a 1/87 scale version of the Mack ACB right now so this holds a particular interest.
If you're interested in a very nice and inexpensive photo manipulation program for the Mac, I might suggest Graphic Converter from Lemke Software. It falls short of PS but for cropping, sharpening and color and light balance it's worth the money. I actually use it more than PS because it's user interface is a bit friendlier.