• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

How to make model tree?

Started by DaKra, July 10, 2010, 06:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKra

I need to make an HO scale model of a large tree, an old oak or maple.   Its a foreground piece on a small diorama so it should look realistic.  I don't have much experience with trees, so I'm looking for some how-to guidance.   Thanks!

Dave     

eTraxx

Dave,
Here's a link to a thread on Railroad Line Forums .. Treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers

In the world of model tree-making he's on par with the modelers on this forum.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

jacq01

In H0 this man is one of the best : Grove den.

see his sbs on many sort of trees in the following link http://stummi.foren-city.de/topic,18449,-baumbau.html
  Via Stummi forum you can contact him, he definitely will answer ( in english  ;D ;D). It is a Dutchman. :D :D
  Some of his work might be on Railroad Line forum

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

eTraxx

Jacq. That's the same person I linked to .. he uses the handle 'scotchpine' on the Railroad Line Forum. I've made one tree using his techniques .. got the branches and trunk pretty good .. messed up on the foliage .. but yep .. he's very good.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

JohnP

About 10 years back I wrote an article for N-Scale mag about making a maple tree. I found a great copper cable to use for armatures. It is cable for welding outfits. It has many small strands for flexibility and comes in pretty fat sizes. Strip it the rubber off and you can twist the most beautiful armatures down to the finest branches. Use AC glue to firm the shape.  Primer it for grip and then use modeling clay or putty for the body and bark texture. I used basic stuff for foliage but there is so much out there now from European brands especially.

John
John Palecki