• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

I love my Sherline!

Started by lab-dad, June 01, 2010, 05:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

I have wanted one of those photoetch folding tools for some time now.
So Saturday morning, coffee in hand I spent about an hour and a half and made one out of some scraps I had (hence the size) Still going to make one long top piece for longer folds.

I make a lot of "tools" with my mill/lathe but most are for a specific job/model.

-Marty

Belg

Marty this looks like it will be a very handy little tool. You are really doing some great work with your Milling machine. Pat

Tom Neeson

Cool Marty...Is there a spring inside to hold it open when you loosen the thumb screws?

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

lab-dad

Thanks Pat & Tom,
No spring. The fit on the hardware is just right so it stays up when pulled.
-Marty

RoughboyModelworks

Nicely done Marty... The Sherline is an excellent small mill. I use mine a lot, even for machining some bike parts which does stretch its limits but it seems to handle them just fine. Haven't finished setting up my machine bench yet following the move. A couple of the legs were broken on the bench during the move and I have to repair those first. Since I need to do that, I've decided to replace the bench top while I'm at it, something that's been needed for some time now. The main part of the bench is my grandfather's original watchmaker's bench, a two-seater, so apart from being a perfect bench for the model shop, it holds a lot of sentimental value for me as well.

Paul

lab-dad

Thats cool Paul.
I only have a few of my dads tools but they are treasures!
Love to see the bench when you get it all fixed up (machines & all)
And; Thanks!
-Marty

RoughboyModelworks

Marty:

The main part of the bench belonged to my grandfather, was in his jewelry store during the forties. Though immensely practical, the bench was not particularly well made and has suffered some over the years and through its many travels. I've repaired the legs and added leveling feet for the uneven shop floor. I put a new top on it twenty years ago or so and it has served me well, but it's worn to the point where it needed to be replaced too. I spent most of last weekend making a new top from birch ply and lumber odds and ends which I expect to finish this weekend. I'll post a pic for you once it's in place. Another treasure I have from my grandfather is his Boley jewelers lathe which will go back into place on the new top along with the other machines. I rebuilt the lathe a few years ago and it's now a much-used piece of equipment in the shop.

Paul