• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/87 Fishing Trawler

Started by DaKra, April 09, 2010, 10:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Gin Sot: A trawler is absent from the dock at least as often as it is moored there. But you often find a couple of row boats tied to a piling. If you are unenthusiastic about modeling big boats, knock out one or two dinghies. They will make the point. Unless that little essay was your way of telling us you now are into modeling fishing boats....  -- Russ

jim s-w

Quote from: finescalerr on April 25, 2010, 02:56:11 PM
I don't think there is necessarily any correlation between education and superior modeling. I think it's more an attitude. Some guys like to research, plan, design, and approach things meticulously. Others create more impulsively. I'm kind of in the middle as I suspect most people are.

What is much more important is the attitude toward excellence. Most dismiss excellence as "out of my league" and walk away muttering words like "snob" or "rivet counter". Others find it inspirational and try to apply some of what they see to their own approach. That doesn't mean copying. It means extrapolating.

Hi Russ

It is all attitude but I wonder if that leads back to intellect.  After all people on here all pushing themselves, trying new stuff, looking to understand what they are modelling.  Thus they have a natural bias to ask questions, take another point of view and learn. 

I used to be an illustrator in the licenced character field.  There is nothing special in being able to draw,  Everyone does it.  Try and describe your signature in terms of graphic shapes and you will soon realise that its a very complex object you are creating.  Why people cant draw 'things' is they dont know how to look at it.  They see a chair and the brain goes 'chair - next'  they dont look at it.  They dont see what it is - a lot of people couldnt even tell you what colour it was! 

I think its this ability to see that makes all the difference.  Its the reason why people do not accept a copy of a model.  (or the reason why they shouldn't)

Over in the UK model railway world we have the rivet counter label but also the dreaded elitist tag too.  A lot of UK modellers are almost embarrassed to say 'i built this and its damn good' for fear of being branded elitist. 

Anyway - back to the original post - great scene!

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

gin sot

QuoteGin Sot: A trawler is absent from the dock at least as often as it is moored there. But you often find a couple of row boats tied to a piling. If you are unenthusiastic about modeling big boats, knock out one or two dinghies. They will make the point. Unless that little essay was your way of telling us you now are into modeling fishing boats....  -- Russ

Oh, I'm terribly enthusiastic about modeling boats.  That's the problem-- not enough hours to model everything!

Since you mention it, I have knocked out a nice little flotilla of styrene dinghies to prepare myself for the oyster sloop I'm currently working on, which will prepare me for the schooners and steamers that are a little further out on the construction horizon . . . .

I don't think I've offered a "good job!" to the OP.  That's a really nice clean diorama, definitely not suffering from Sellios Disease.  I particularly like the lettering.