• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/43 Diorama

Started by james_coldicott, July 20, 2010, 03:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james_coldicott

Hi All,

decided to start a new topic in the hopes of actually getting something finished... this photo is of a model I started over a year ago that kind of got left on the shelf but hoping that putting it here will help me make some progress.

The story so far...

this is a 1/43 diorama. 9" x 6" split down the middle to show the interior of a brick workshop and exterior of a corrugated iron structure. I purposefully chose 2 different structures to allow me to play with different materials. The brick and corrugated are plastic from Slaters Plastikard. The concrete floor is all 2mm mountboard finished with watercolour paints- don't know if it's called this in Europe and the US. Basically it is the 2.5mm card used for picture framing. Track is 2' gauge for displaying some of my models and I'll sit it on a battery powered turntable so you get to see both sides.

As you can see there is lots to do on both sides- doors and detailing etc etc.

As usual any comments/ suggestions/ criticisms welcome. I have to say I already HATE the finish on the corrugated iron- that will definitely get changed- hopefully without ungluing too many of the details that already sit in front of it!

James

james_coldicott

Other side...

james_coldicott

and one that shows the inside...

Gordon Ferguson

James, that last shot of the interior is particularly effective :)
Gordon

finescalerr

Let's see how it transforms as you start to refine it. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Well James, the modeling looks fine, so here's a stupid little criticism/suggestions ... or maybe it's just my personal peeve ... but I find the unfinished plywood edges around the base to be distracting.  Would like to see those covered with some smooth card/stripwood/plastic and painted a neutral color.  It's not as bad as pink or blue foam on the edge of a diorama ... but still a distraction ... or, again, maybe that's just me.

Meanwhile, the scene is shaping up nicely by itself and looks like it would serve well as a "stage" for other projects.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Bexley

Quote from: Malachi Constant on July 20, 2010, 03:52:05 PM
but I find the unfinished plywood edges around the base to be distracting.  Would like to see those covered with some smooth card/stripwood/plastic and painted a neutral color.  It's not as bad as pink or blue foam on the edge of a diorama ... but still a distraction ... or, again, maybe that's just me.

Well, be fair- it's an unfinished diorama. I would presume he intends to improve on that before calling it done.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

shropshire lad

Now , Dallas , if you had said that the flashing between the roof and the wall looks a bit dubious then you might have had a point . But , as Mr. Bexley says , give the boy a break and let him finish it !

Nick

Malachi Constant

Hmm ... let's see ... James posts some pix of a diorama that's shaping up quite nicely and specifically states that ALL comments/suggestions/criticisms are welcome.  So I mention something that sticks out to me ... WHILE I happen to be thinking of it ... WHILE the project is still underway (ie, before it's too late) ... and that's jumping the gun?   Hmm ...

Now I hope he completely finishes the thing as nicely as it shaping up, but leaves those edges unfinished and blames you guys!  ;D

PS -- James, forgot to say that I really like the two-sided design of the diorama ... two separate focal areas that are at the same time integrated ... very clever.  (Oops, is it too soon to say "clever" ... can I get a reading from the Bulgarian judges?)

:P Dallas  :P
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Philip Smith

Great idea with the two-sided finish. It looks good.

rafters?   Looks like its missing a ledger board or some sort of joist hangars around the inside perimeter. Without a ledger board the roof could collapse.

just an observation.

Philip

Chuck Doan

I like the two-sided design too.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

eTraxx

Quote from: Chuck Doan on July 21, 2010, 07:02:21 AM
I like the two-sided design too.
Me too (or is that three?)

I had thought one time that a 'cool way' to display the interior of a building on a model railroad layout would be to have the layout edge slice through the building .. similar to this.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Philip Smith

Not to astray from the subject but I remember an engine house made from (hydrocal). The manufacturer, maybe stony creek /russian river ?? used the same method of finishing both sides which is brillant! makes way for some wonderful detailing.

Philip

james_coldicott

Guys,

thanks for the responses. All very valid points...

yes the edges are all unfinished. The diorama base will be framed in hardwood. There are also nasty edges between the brick side and corrugated and a nasty unfinished edge along the roofline that will all get treated somehow.

Philip- there would be no joist hangers as such- the roof trusses would rest on and pass through the walls. I may add some concrete blocks for them to sit on though (plenty of old warehouse structures just rested them on the bricks though there would likely be either an internal or external pillar to bolster the wall)- there will also be concrete/ blockwork fill between the rafters and concrete lintels and sills above and below the windows- thinking of maybe using some fine finishing paper to do this so as to have a bit of texture.

Chuck- I have often thought the same- my current 2' gauge switching layout will have a workshop at the front edge with the front wall missing- the added bonus on a module type layout being that it forms a natural end to the scene. Will post some pics of that when I get around to mocking up the building.

Thanks again for the comments- watch this space for some progress... but don't hold your breath!

Cheers

James

eTraxx

Took a couple of photos the other day of some interesting metal shutters. Noticed the 'pockets' below. Aren't these where joists went once? If so, looks like there was a space above each 'pocket' to slip the beam in.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"