• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Mini Lathe Comparison

Started by eTraxx, August 18, 2010, 11:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Seems that the bench top lathes made by Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Micro-Mark etc. are all made by the same company in China.

Mini Lathe Comparison

Same with the Mini Mill ..

Mini Mill Comparison

Lots of good info on this website ..

reference articles

These guys evidently are targeting the bench top machinist .. of which I IS one. Cool.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Gordon Ferguson

Ed,

interested in this as I want to purchase a mini lathe before the year end , however can't get any of your links to work :(

This is a site - which may be the one you are referring to,  that I have found very useful www.mini-lathe.com somewhere on here he explains that there actual two different plants in China producing these machines
Gordon

eTraxx

They work now. Dang it .. Stoopid URLs
Ed Traxler

narrowgauger

Hi Ed

before you take the plunge to buy a small lathe consider the work you intend to do with it and the precision expected.

having assisted a number of people who bought a cheap Chinese lathe after they discovered that the tolerances were so poor that work in small scale model building was not possible it is clear to me that you get what you pay for, which in most instances is total rubbish.

with 25 years use of the Toyo / Proxxon 230 lathe I suggest that you have a close look at the Proxxon PD230 machine.  I know that it is relatively expensive, however it is a precision machine that will give you many years of service at a level unheard of in the low costs Chinese machines.  The Proxxon 230 is manufactured in Japan to commercial machine standards.

In my studio I use 5 serious Proxxon machines including 2 lathes and 3 milling machines, which I would not replace at any cost.

If it's precision work you are looking for and miminum frustration or breakdowns of the electronics don't go the Chines route.

if you want to keep your cost down I recommend that you take a close look at the Taig lathe.  Not as accurate as the Proxxon, but great value for money, made in the USA.  A standard Taig lathe with an ER16 collet spindle will cost you around $500 if you shop around.  Take a look at Nick Carter's Taig site for more details.

hope this helps

Bernard

eTraxx

Bernard,
Thanks. I actually found that website following a thread on a Yahoo group where they were talking about that very subject - that the Chinese machines were not accurate enough. The link was to replacement precision gears to help remedy that problem for those who have already purchased the machines. I had looked at the Micro-Mart machines of course - who doesn't .. and had seen references to the Grizzly machines and of the Harbor Freight models. I found it interesting that they were all the same machine more or less.

I'll check out the Porxxon PD230. As you guessed I'm looking at lathes. I'm all in favor of Proxxon .. I bought a Proxxon MF 70 Micro Mill a couple weeks ago.
Ed Traxler

RoughboyModelworks

Ed:

Bernard is right on the money. Stay away from the cheap chinese machines. You'd probably be able to do more precise work with an old electric drill clamped to a table top. A lesson I learned a long time ago is that a poor man can't afford cheap tools.

Paul

JohnP

Hey don't forget about the USA made Taig company: http://www.taigtools.com/mlathe.html

I want one of their mills when I get a bit more dough. It's not slick looking but they are very functional.

John
John Palecki

finescalerr

Please pay close attention to Bernard's post. He and Paul are experts on tools. Tools are one area where you get what you pay for. Better to buy nothing than an unsatisfactory tool. -- Russ

DaKra

If you are in for the long haul, get a quality US or German made lathe.  Better yet, get one that is supported by ready to run CNC add-on hardware.  CNC gear has become relatively inexpensive.   Basically you'll have a robot who works for free, never complains and does incredibly precise work.   It will pay for itself when you need several small, perfectly identical turnings, a pain to do with the hand wheels unless you are a skilled machinist.   

Philip Smith

How do Sherline and Unimat compare  among these lathes?

Phil

eTraxx

When I worked as a machinist years ago our shop had a German lathe. It could cut just about every thread ever invented. Funny thing is that everyone preferred using the old WWII era Monarch lathes. Never ran a CNC lathe. Ran a 45-ton CNC mill in Houston .. give you an idea how long ago THAT was .. the program was punched out to a paper tape similar to what the teletype used. Still remember the time the programmer reversed the steps for the drill and reamer ... ha.
Ed Traxler

lab-dad

I have a Sherline lathe and also have the milling column.
I am pleased with it, although some risers for larger work are in the future.
That is the other thing I like; plenty of tools and very versatile.
I'm by no means a machinist but I'm sure you've seen what I can do as a novice.
-Marty

Philip Smith

Quote from: lab-dad on August 19, 2010, 07:55:00 AM
I have a Sherline lathe and also have the milling column.
I am pleased with it, although some risers for larger work are in the future.
That is the other thing I like; plenty of tools and very versatile.
I'm by no means a machinist but I'm sure you've seen what I can do as a novice.
-Marty

Indeed Marty,

I appreciate the info on the Sherline. I'm taking a look at this one tomorrow. He has a Unimat with a bunch of extras as well. This one has me wondering with the B&D drive.

$250.00 for this one,

Philip 

RoughboyModelworks

Philip:

It's almost impossible to assess a machine from a picture, but based on the photo, it would appear that it hasn't been that well maintained which is a red flag with any piece of machinery, especially something that you intend to use for any sort of precision work. It could all just be cosmetic, dust and corrosion. The real test of course is how it performs. The simplest and most revealing test is to turn a long piece of cylindrical stock (as long a piece as the lathe will hold between centers) and check for consistency of finish and diametric dimension over the length of stock.

Paul

Philip Smith

Quote from: Roughboy on August 19, 2010, 08:28:41 PM
Philip:

It's almost impossible to assess a machine from a picture, but based on the photo, it would appear that it hasn't been that well maintained which is a red flag with any piece of machinery, especially something that you intend to use for any sort of precision work. It could all just be cosmetic, dust and corrosion. The real test of course is how it performs. The simplest and most revealing test is to turn a long piece of cylindrical stock (as long a piece as the lathe will hold between centers) and check for consistency of finish and diametric dimension over the length of stock.

Paul

Paul,

I'll check it out. I'm leary of that big motor and the status of the old motor.  :-\  The owner still hasn't scheduled a showing.
thanks, appreciate the info!

Philip