• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson shovels

Started by Ray Dunakin, August 18, 2010, 05:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

What scale, Marty? -- Russ

Philip Smith

Marty,

That will be one hellified project with all those parts.
Nice start.
8)

lab-dad

Work continues on the shovel.
Lots of rivets (.020")
I just recently learned it was called a "Fundom"
The little brackets were a challenge, but after watching Gordon they turned out to be fun!
I dont think all the gears, pulleys and drums will be "fun" though.
-Marty

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Looks like some excellent work going on there.  Let's hope they don't lock you up before all the rivets are in place. ;D

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Malachi Constant

Can't think of what to say exactly ... keep staring at picture ... like it!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

JohnP

I like rivets. Hot bucked rivets. Yummy.

I like this shovel bucket arm too. What a great scratch project. Looks complex, maybe it is, but at least it is finite in extent. Very nicely planned and carried out.

John
John Palecki

Ray Dunakin

Too cool! What a fun project.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Thanks guys!
Ray it is all your fault, you started this!
And thanks for the prototype pictures!
-Marty

Frederic Testard

Same opinion as Dallas. What a pleasure to simply watch all this detailed work, so well done. Thanks Marty for the pleasure you give us.
Frederic Testard

Scratchman

Marty, Nice work. Are you doing this model with only the photos from Ray and the photos and information you got from Gil? One thing the STYRENE stabilizer rods on the boom may give you problems down the road. I like using brass for this type of application.

Ray, You also gave me the shovel bug. I have been wanting to model some type of shovel for the last 45 years. Tonopah is 412 miles away from my home and if the weather is good I'm going out there for a better look on the first of October. I may take a look at the Keystone drilling machine that is in Ely also. Thanks for the great photos.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/     

NORCALLOGGER

Marty
Way to go!  I just got back to this thread and here you have a shovel half built ;) :)
Looking really great and I know you will have fun with it but I don't know how you
can build something that "tiny", I mean 1:48, really ;) :)

I will have to agree with Gordon on the Styrene rod.
Later
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Thanks, I'm just happy to know that my pics are inspiring some great models!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Thanks everyone!
You are right I wish I had started in 1/16 but that one is Gordon's!
May be Mr. Potato head will show some progress soon?
Snow has to be looming for Idaho.......

Yes Gordon, just going off Ray & Gil's pictures (and the ones Ken just sent to me).
Gill managed to have a ruler in some of his shots. Once I amass all of them in one place I can send you a disc.
If you do go to take pictures please bring a proper story stick, too hard to see the #'s on Gil's

I was worried about the styrene rod too, thanks for the heads up!
Not too late to change it, as you can see I have tried to connect as much as possible with the shafts removable (for now).

-Marty

lab-dad

Here is the progress for the week.
The mechanizim is quite a challenge, a lot of imagineering is going on.
Also having to make some compromises on some of the sizes.
The tractor will be in use so most of the color you see will be gone/covered.
I'm thinking of a industrial yellow for final color since that seems common.
-Marty