• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wonderful New Fish Kit by Michael Fichtenmayer

Started by marc_reusser, August 24, 2010, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

Speak of the devil... PE came and looks awesome!
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Marc ,

Are you going to wait until the rest of us get our kits before starting or are you going to dive ( no pun intended but it came out all the same)  straight in ? I am number 28 of the second run so don't expect to get mine any time soon . I will be paying close attention to how you tackle this project as it is somewhat out of my comfort zone , so I need to learn new stuff .

Nick

marc_reusser

Nick,

Despite the urge to dive in, I think I am going to leave this build on the hook for a bit.....it's so cool, and I have a couple of wild ideas for it......such as a small dio with a "sinister" feel, along a London style waterfront with the sub sitting at waterline, a small rail-crane lowering a torpedo to a fellow standing next to it in a row-boat while some Jack the Ripper type supervises....sort of a steam-punk meets Tim Burton type of scene..... but as I only ordered one kit I don't want to rush in and build something I may change my mind on.....another idea is to build it like a "specimen"....sort of old and brittle looking, and then put it on a support and base under a glass display dome......the same way fish fossils or remnants are often displayed...but in this case it would be the a submersible fossile from a race of long extinct lilliputians.

I don't believe for a minute that it's outside your comfort zone.....you just need to let your mind wander, and supend all disbelief.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

FichtenFoo

Exactly, it's not "real" so one could totally have fun with it. That's what I love about sci-fi modeling, especially non-movie/cannon stuff like this. Just about anything goes. Paint it like a real fish, copper and brass (like me), camo, orca, steam engine black and red, etc...

For my build I plan to suspend mine in an underwater diorama using the bowsprit of a sunken tall ship (pirate maybe, with a cool mermaid or dragon carving) as the support rod keeping it "afloat" so from most angles it'll look suspended in the water. That'll be fun for me because I'll get to create things and effects we generally don't model. Will have to do some research on sunken ships so I can get the rotting crust-covered wood looking good.
Chicks dig giant robots.

Malachi Constant

Marc --

The diorama idea you've described sounds a bit ambitious ... but really damn cool!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

RoughboyModelworks

I haven't given a lot of thought yet as to what I'm going to do with mine, though I have been thinking somewhat along the lines of Marc's second idea... recently discovered historic relic under a glass dome with an engraved brass plaque attributing it to a heretofore secret project of Edward VII while he was Prince of Wales (all puns intended).

Paul

FichtenFoo

Paul, did you get my last couple of emails regarding the fish sub? I just want to make sure that they're getting through and not ending up in a spam filter. Email me back and let me know. Thanks!
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Came across these pictures today on a German website and got me thinking that the sub would fit in nicely into something similar . I then thought that it could be in a cave , either abandoned or being worked on . I figured it could be housed in a shadow box to give it an air of gloom and mystery .
   Just thinking out aloud ,

Nick

shropshire lad

and another one .

Nick

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: FichtenFoo on September 12, 2010, 02:55:45 PM
Paul, did you get my last couple of emails regarding the fish sub? I just want to make sure that they're getting through and not ending up in a spam filter. Email me back and let me know. Thanks!

Yes I did Michael, did you get mine. I emailed you back on Friday, the 10th.

Paul

FichtenFoo

Oops! I did. Sorry about that. As you can imagine, I've been inundated with emails and sorting is becoming an issue. LOL! If it wasn't for my spreadsheet I'd be totally lost. If only it told me when emails arrived!  :-[ Thanks man!
Chicks dig giant robots.

marc_reusser

I was sitting in the thinking room when.... BAM! ....it hit me like a ton of bricks!...I have (IMO) an absolutely stellar idea of how to build this model.....though it will mean cutting the hell out the poor kit (I can feel Michael cringe), and tons of scratchbuilding.....but I am pretty sure it is not something someone else will come up with...or if they do, would want to undertake. Yes, it will make for a very laborius, frustrating and long project....but I think it would be most cool!

...and no...I'm not telling, otherwise someone who builds faster than me (which is pretty much everyone except maybe Chuck) will steal my thunder...yes, that's right, I'm shelfish

Marc

M-Works

danpickard

Hey Marc,
Spell check not working...bit of a typo at the end there ;D

Dan

(I'm looking forward to a number of freaky little steampunk monsters to follow with this thread)

marc_reusser

Quote from: danpickard on September 16, 2010, 06:01:52 PM
Hey Marc,
Spell check not working...bit of a typo at the end there ;D

Dan

I knew someone was going to be a crab about it. ;)

Marc (no remoras about the bad puns)

M-Works

FichtenFoo

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 16, 2010, 05:35:35 PMthough it will mean cutting the hell out the poor kit (

Sushi!

Got my sample casts today... they look great! I should have kits around the end of the month.
Chicks dig giant robots.