• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wonderful New Fish Kit by Michael Fichtenmayer

Started by marc_reusser, August 24, 2010, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector Bell

Whilst this sort of thing isn't really my cup of tea, I'm intrigued by the mentions, quite often, of "steam punk".
Er, was I away on Zog at the time?  Could somebody elaborate, please?

Thanks,
Martin

marc_reusser

All you need to do is an image search on google for the "steam punk"...but for now...here is a quicke sampling.

The Iconic Lincoln image:

Gear:

Cell Phone:

Computers:

Steampunk Star Wars:

Art:

...there is evan a fellow that built a steam punk monorail model.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Think of modern technology married to over-the-top Victorian engineering and materials and you'll come pretty close. I think probably the first examples of this, before the term was coined, were the Mad Max movies and the computer terminals in Max Headroom... old, turn-of the 20th century typewriters running deconstructed computer interfaces... always loved that mixture. There's also a whole literary side to this that hasn't been mentioned which is basically post-apocalyptic... how society rebuilds itself after the global apocalypse that destroys all current social structures and infrastructures... brass goggles are evidently de rigueur...

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: shropshire lad on November 02, 2010, 12:13:12 PM
A funny looking old submarine buried in a copper mine in the desert ? No problem . Just do it . It is not as if you have to justify what you do to anyone .

Just be sure to add a platoon of MIB agents assuring the public that what they are really looking at is a weather balloon...

Paul

MinerFortyNiner

Heh...actually, Paul, I was thinking of forming a Brute Squad of pugs, thugs, hornswagglers, bushwhackers, horse thieves...just to keep the drunken miners and curious townsfolk away.
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

RoughboyModelworks

Verne, don't forget to include the rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

Paul-->still in the corner-->

MinerFortyNiner

Yes...we are an equal-opportunity employer...no steenking badges required!

- Verne Niner

Hector Bell

All looks a bit Jules Verne.
Celebrating for the most part, it seems, the worst aspects of the world.
Nope, not my cup of tea at all, but thanks for the explanation.
Martin

Andi Little

Ooh - Steampunk?

I don't think I've ever shown this on here? - It has done the minor rounds in the past though, so some here may have seen it before [apologies].
I built this many moons ago before I was even aware of the Steampunk genre of modelling, in fact the timings would indicate that Steampunk must of been in it's infancy [I could easily be wrong about that]?
Anyway............ it came about because of a melt down from constantly trying to "trump" my previous builds. I literally threw a hissy fit one day and just decided to build something really "stupid, radical, inventive, creative and no holds barred". I was already into vintage boys toys - most things steam related, early engineering and Victorian methodology.

So, ............ this is what happened.......... An experimental 3.5 litre Air/water cooled, single inlet twin exhaust valve single cylinder Grand Tourer.

Ersatz ................ Steampunk by default - I think?

Ps........... I emailed my interest in the Fish kit yet moments after Marc' announced it on this board................ never received a reply - [sniff!]
KBO..................... Andi.

FichtenFoo

Andi: I'm searching through my emails now. There is an "Andrew" in the UK on my reservation list that has not responded to my payment requests for the first edition. Not sure if that's you or not. Maybe I have a wrong email? I can't find an email for an "Andi Little" though and I am an email packrat. I've got decades old emails. LOL! Try emailing me again so I can see if that's you or not. That'd explain it if it is! LOL!
Chicks dig giant robots.

marc_reusser

Sorry for the delay in getting back with this info.

Here is the main body and head, with a Verlinden 1/35 figure...this figure seems run at the "tall" end of 1/35 folks...plus there is still some of the casting block left on the bottom of his feet.

M-Works

marc_reusser

This is the body and head with a 1/48 figure (Preiser?)

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here is the main section of the sub, with both figures next to it.

M-Works

marc_reusser

...look away for just a minute, and this happens! :o

M-Works

MinerFortyNiner

Thanks for the photos, Marc, that helps put things in perspective.

Michael, is there a Squid-ShokTM option available?  If so, we'll need some marinara sauce to go with the calimari.  If not, that fish's toast!
- Verne Niner