• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale civilians -- figures

Started by Malachi Constant, August 30, 2010, 08:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Chuck, you need some quality time in the corner. -- ssuR

Bexley

I love that Masterbox set. I have three of them, not counting the ones I've already used. The faces are a little bland, but that's what Hornet is for.

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Malachi Constant

Bexley --

Wow!  Sick, twisted and delightful ... well executed, too!  ;D

(And, of course the dang pun was intended ...never trust anyone who says it wasn't!)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

Here we go:  Think I've reached a point where it would be good to put the new head out for criticism/review before moving on.  Obviously, she'll benefit from the addition of some hair and a hat once the face is finalized!  BTW, photo may seem small ... but on a 19" monitor, the sculpted head is about 5x actual size here.  Goal is to have the completed figure look presentable at 2x-3x actual size.

Reality check:  I'll gladly accept that trying to capture a specific person's likeness in this scale is a rather lofty goal ... and, really, that's not the main goal.  Actually, looking for a cute girl to provide a counterpoint to the grumpy mechanic.  So, the CHARACTER that  Ginger played in the movie seems like an ideal inspiration.  Revised goal:  If this is successful, then once the figure is assembled and decked out in tomboy clothes, she'll look like a genuinely cute, sweet girl who just happens to be going thru a tomboy/rebel phase.  So, it would be nice to capture Ginger's likeness, but on a more practical level just hoping to capture some of the cuteness.

Comments & criticism wanted: Please let me know what you think ... yeah, nay or otherwise.  ALL comments, criticism and suggestions welcome.  If it looks like some certain feature, etc, is off a bit, please let me know.  If I have to attempt any radical changes, I can cast the head first to make sure I have a back-up and don't lose the progress to this point. 

Thanks in advance!
Dallas

eTraxx

Dallas .. what I think is .. looks like you have another line to add to your products! Excellent.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Carlo

Dallas -
What immediately struck me was that the mouth area is to recessed (deep) compared to the rest of the face. It almost looks like someone without teeth. Compare to the "prototype" to see where the lips fall relative to the nose.
Carlo

finescalerr

That's what I see, too, Carlo. If it were an old man it would be perfect so my suggestion would be to keep it for that purpose and try again to sculpt the girl. (On the other hand, consider the boob who made the suggestion before considering it!) -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Looks very believable to me Dallas. I see women who look like that everyday at work...  ;)  Of course they're not Ginger Rogers...

Paul

Malachi Constant

Carlo -- THANK YOU!  Very helpful observation ... and should be a pretty easy thing to fix ... ignoring the microscopic size of the dang thing!

Russ -- In consideration of the boob who furthered that suggestion, I present some boobs being shaped ... don't worry, they'll get a little bigger when the sweater/sweatshirt is built up.  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Carlo

Malachi Constant

Color suggestions?

While I have your kind attention ... have a look at the photo below ... would like to have any/all suggestions y'all would like to make for colors:
-- sweater/sweatshirt
-- skirt
-- jacket

Believe the real Ginger had some shade of naturally red hair ... which varied from really dark as seen in this early movie to something (apparently colored) very blond.  I'll probably go with a deep auburn color or warm brunette tone.  So thinking that a light mossy green sweatshirt would compliment that nicely, maybe some sort of caramel tan for the skirt ... but VERY open to suggestions ... the black & white movie is charming, but not very colorful!  :)

Thanks again!
Dallas

Malachi Constant

Attack of the 50' sculptor!  Hmm ... maybe I should have chosen Fay Wray?

Are we there yet?  Well, I'm very hopeful that the third time is a charm!  Here's the third attempt ... not an exact likeness, of course, but this seems to be awfully close to what I'm after ... a cute girl with fat cheeks rolling her eyes and laughing at the silly old man.  Actually, the likeness gets better when I hold the head against the photo at just the right angle, but I have a heckuva time getting the light and photo angle right when I shoot the photo.  Still open to critical review and suggestions ... please lemme know what you think.

Thanks!
Dallas

finescalerr

The face is pretty good. The hat needs work. -- Russ

DaKra

To me, the remarkable thing is the improvement you make with each version.  Why stop now?

Dave

MinerFortyNiner

Like Dave said!

I think it's amazing the progress you have made, Dallas...considering how tiny the subject is, you are showing real aptitude for this.
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."