• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

DONE! » Prototype 01 Vincent [Futuristic] 1/20 Scale

Started by FichtenFoo, September 04, 2010, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

Thanks! Haha! I actually considered making a scale condom, but until 10 seconds ago wasn't sure how. (Could probably just pull-stretch plastic wrap over a rod without heat, remove, paint, disgust) That's just a little discarded plastic.

I looked online for paper cup templates, then scaled one down/recreated it in Illustrator and printed it. THen I glued it and cut a paper disc and white glued it in the bottom. Lastly a brushed on thin layer of Future to seal and give it that not exactly flat/waxy look.
Chicks dig giant robots.

finescalerr

Fascinating ideas. But you obviously have lost your mind. -- Russ

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Don Railton

This looks like it should be sitting in front of a Ken Hamilton motel. In 1:1 it would be an eye sore but in miniature it is a work of art.

Very nice. 

Let's see some more of your creations.

Don

FichtenFoo

Russ, eTraxx: Thanks... I think. :D

Quote from: Don Railton on September 08, 2010, 05:54:41 AM
This looks like it should be sitting in front of a Ken Hamilton motel. In 1:1 it would be an eye sore but in miniature it is a work of art.

Very nice. 

Let's see some more of your creations.

Don

Thanks! All of my creations, even my earliest and not-so great, (shows progression though :D )  can be seen here. http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/model-gallery/
Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

Here's the start of Vinnie's paintwork. Chipped and faded turquoise and white with nasty chrome trim. Fading and balling-up the chrome to come... Any crap-chrome tips are welcome! I figure I'll start with rust-colored paint speckled on with an old toothbrush and my thumb.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/vincent/

Chicks dig giant robots.

lab-dad

I've had good results for flaky chrome using silver leaf.
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

FichtenFoo

Thanks. I'll have to try the leaf stuff. Any tips or links to tips for application?
Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

Rest of the base chrome trim is done and looks great! Gonna be a fun challenge to age and weather it.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/vincent/

Chicks dig giant robots.

gin sot

That's really excellent work.  The only suggestion I have is to yellow and dull the clear plastic lettering on the lighted signboard.  I'd probably use a tinted clear coat or maybe a dip in strong tea.

lab-dad

the silver leaf is pretty straightforward, I got a kit at michaels.
It comes with a pen of adhesive. I applied as instructed, then "peeled" with a fiberglass pencil.
I used some small dabs of wax here and there so the adhesive wouldnt work (peel/lift)
-Marty

FichtenFoo

Chicks dig giant robots.

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Looking good ... especially like the effect of the paint oxidation on the uppermost surface ... the powdery whitish-blue there is a subtle difference that looks very effective.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com