• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

DONE! » Prototype 01 Vincent [Futuristic] 1/20 Scale

Started by FichtenFoo, September 04, 2010, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

No rambling; just good, solid, educational comments. Thanks. -- Russ

FichtenFoo

It can be difficult to put it into words as I tend to not think too much about how to do it and just do it. Genuine creativity can't be taught, but a creative person can certainly enhance their abilities. I try to think of myself as a constantly evolving and learning modeler... my big fear is to get too comfortable and fall into complacency and "my way". There's so much to learn and so many techniques that I doubt I could ever master them all... so it's something I can always learn about which is nice.
Chicks dig giant robots.

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: FichtenFoo on September 27, 2010, 11:55:39 AM
It can be difficult to put it into words as I tend to not think too much about how to do it and just do it. Genuine creativity can't be taught, but a creative person can certainly enhance their abilities. I try to think of myself as a constantly evolving and learning modeler... my big fear is to get too comfortable and fall into complacency and "my way". There's so much to learn and so many techniques that I doubt I could ever master them all... so it's something I can always learn about which is nice.

A good approach! When I first got into graphic design, the guy who taught me said you always have to watch out not to design on "automatic", and the better you get, the more you need to try new ways to avoid that trap.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

RoughboyModelworks

Any good artist, designer, model maker, architect, writer, musician, photographer - whatever means the creative expression takes, never stops learning. Complacency is the downfall, it leads to routine, formulaic repetitive work... kind of paint-by-numbers syndrome. Always push the envelope...

Paul

DaKra

Quote from: Roughboy on September 22, 2010, 01:22:19 PMlet me know if there's something specific you're looking for and can't find, I may just have it.
Paul

OK Paul here's a request!   I'm looking for a commercial font that seems very typical for the 1930s - 50s.   I'm not well versed in fonts, so I don't really know how to categorize it, but its a sans serif and you'll see the cross arms of the letters are lower than the center point.      Closest I have is Roadway, but its just not right.   

Dave

FichtenFoo

For fun retro fonts check here: http://www.fontdiner.com/

Not what DaKra is seeking, but fun and inspirational nonetheless.
Chicks dig giant robots.

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: DaKra on September 29, 2010, 05:29:33 PM
Quote from: Roughboy on September 22, 2010, 01:22:19 PMlet me know if there's something specific you're looking for and can't find, I may just have it.
Paul

OK Paul here's a request!   I'm looking for a commercial font that seems very typical for the 1930s - 50s.   I'm not well versed in fonts, so I don't really know how to categorize it, but its a sans serif and you'll see the cross arms of the letters are lower than the center point.      Closest I have is Roadway, but its just not right.   

Dave

Sorry I missed your post Dave, not ignoring you...  ;) That's a real hodge-podge of fonts... I expect it's a hand-painted sign from all the inconsistencies in the letters. I'll have a look through my collection and see if I can come up with something for you.

Paul

marc_reusser

Dave,

Hmmm....a mix of Twentieth Century MT Condensed, and Hattenschweiler, might be a start?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MinerFortyNiner

Quote from: FichtenFoo on September 27, 2010, 11:55:39 AM

So true...and my computer has become my most important modeling tool lately.  I've learned a lot already, and many miles to go...

Michael, you put your finger on something when you mentioned mocking up elements to arrange compositions...which is how I need to work with a scene.  My best sketches never look right in 1:1, I need to position items, mull it over, move things around, mull again...I sometimes wonder if I have not spent almost as much time mulling as modeling!

Thanks for sharing your insights, and your beautifully modeled and evocative scene.
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

finescalerr

More mulling often results in better modeling ... as long as you don't mull instead of model.

I just read that back. It's either brilliant or idiotic.

Okay, I can already imagine the responses. Go stand in the corner.

Russ

shropshire lad

My response is , that you need to find yourself a decent editor so that he/she can correct your typo errors ! Ha , Ha , Ha .

Nick

Meet you in the corner

Belg

Micheal, since I'm not drawn toward sci-fi project because of the lack of imagination (I think) on my part how does your mind know whats "enough". The pieces being compared in my mind are this project and your Briegel diorama. In looking at both one is way over the top in added on features and this one is much more basic, but when there is no actual prototype except a film or cartoon version how does one choose where to stop?

After reading some of the rules of photography I see many great points,(some in my mind seem to contradict themselves) but then when reading the last line in the second link it says don't be afraid to break the rules. With this in mind I guess its just up to the audience to perceive the art in its given form and see if they get it or like it. KISS theory seems to hold true for many things in life.

Your work is just wonderful and I have totally enjoyed watching it come together, I would love to hear some more about  your techniques as you progress. Thanks Pat