• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:24 Heywood Wheel & PAP Project...

Started by RoughboyModelworks, September 05, 2010, 11:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_H

:o 76.00 bucks seems like alot? wonder what chucks gas pump cost? I don't think chuck mentioned the cost.      Craig

RoughboyModelworks

Yes, I was a little surprised about the cost. I was thinking in the $40-$50 range. Pricing depends on the space you take up on the printing platform plus the amount of material used. Since these wheels are fairly large parts (compared to some of the things the other guys are doing here), that would explain the higher cost. They are also much more complex objects which resulted in a large complex STL file (60 megs and over 1,000,000 facets). That could have been a contributing factor as well.

Paul

marc_reusser

I really look forward to your results.

If anyone is interested, I did a quick check of the Fineline site and using their comparison function, did one of three of their printers, ranging from the top of the line Viper HR...to the upper middle IPRO, and the one used for PAP (INVISION HR).... the page loads slow, but you can see some comparison images from all angles of assorted parts details  for the tha same piece made on each machine.

http://www.finelineprototyping.com/intro/compare-technologies.php?technologies%5B%5D=viperhr&technologies%5B%5D=ipro&technologies%5B%5D=invisionhr

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

The pump body was around forty bucks. Approx. .625 diameter and 3" long. So far, the pricing still kicks ass over the time of scratchbuilding, plus a superior end result. I could never do the lettering on the gallon indicators I printed.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Craig_H

Chuck,  I agree about the time issue....scratch building something i would use PAP to..... if i knew how to do all the computer work....drawing and such >:(    Craig

RoughboyModelworks

I've made, I think, a prudent tactical change with this. Decided to print just one wheel center the first time out because of concerns I have about concentric accuracy and crispness of the raised lettering. Fortunately I was able to cancel the previous order and add this one to the queue. If necessary I may have to bump up the font size and weight slightly. The cost for the one wheel center is $32, which though pricey enough is better than spending $76 on a test and getting four centers that aren't satisfactory. I added a small center hole to test for concentric accuracy in the lathe. If successful I'll go back to the original plan and print the four centers at one time and use this one as a test piece for machining and painting.

I agree Chuck, compared to the time it would take to machine each of these individually, the price is a bargain. Plus I would have no way to machine the lettering which is an important detail.

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

Just for S & G I prepared a cut-away rendering of the wheel assembly, primarily to confirm the proper wheel contours. Even though the prototype wheels were cast as one piece, I'm differentiating between the tire and center as that is how I intend to produce the wheels for the Van: PAP resin center with machined nickel-silver tread.

Paul

finescalerr

RoughboyModelworks

Just received confirmation that the wheel center has been printed and is on the way... should be here by the end of the week... ;D

In the meantime I've been working on the journal box drawings... should have those finished up in the next day or so.

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

Received the test wheel center today from the rapid prototyper. Photo below shows the center as it arrived, directly out of the package.

I tested the concentric accuracy of the wheel in the lathe and found it to be excellent, well within the tolerances needed for the project. I bored the axle hole in the lathe and mounted the wheel temporarily on a piece of scrap brass stock.

To better assess the crispness of the lettering and printing texture, I painted the part with my base Floquil rust mixture. Prior to painting I gave it a gentle soda blast and wash in denatured alcohol to removed any remaining wax from the printing process.

I need to raise the lettering slightly from the surface of the wheel as the baseline edges of the lettering (closest to the hub) are a little too soft. This will help make the lettering more distinct. The texture I find quite acceptable considering this is a 1:12 scale part meant to replicate a cast iron wheel. In any smaller scale I think it would be too coarse. As it is, under normal room illumination, the texture is barely discernible. For reference, the part diameter is just over 1".

Paul

Gordon Ferguson

Paul,

as I said elsewhere that is a brilliant result , well done .......... can't really imagine being able to get this quality of finished product without using all the latest techniques that you obviously have mastered.
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

james_coldicott

Paul,

I agree- a great result. The texture is very close to many of the cast wheels I've seen over the years and will add an extra dimension to the finished model.

James

jacq01

very good and I admire the ability to produce and present these CAD drawings. 
  I will have to cheat in this sort of model part production by having all the CAD work done by a friend.

I love these fine results........... but it is outside the modelling where my heart lies. Maybe due to the lack of experience in CAD and the impatience to learn how to draw again ??

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.